Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

[SOLVED] ISP programming of PROM in slave serial mode. is it possible

Status
Not open for further replies.
A

ahmadagha23

hi;
Can I configure my PROM which is mounted in my board in any way except JTAG.
in other word for ISP programming of my XC18v04 PROM is there any wayexcept JTAG?

regards

Hi Ahmed,

Plz clear what exactly you wanna to do with PROM?
How will you load your PROM at initial bring up? other than ISP?

Sachin

I don't think so. The data sheet shows only JTAG for in-circuit programming. The Master/Slave Serial pins are only for outputting the bitstream to the FPGA.
**broken link removed**

Re: ISP programming of PROM in slave serial mode. is it poss

There are 3 classical ways to configure your FPGA:

1) You use a cable from your PC to the FPGA, and run a software on your PC to send data through the cable.
2) You use a microcontroller on your board, with an adequate firmware to send data to the FPGA.
3)You use a "boot-PROM" on your board, connected to the FPGA, that configures the FPGA automatically at power-up (FPGA vendors have such special boot-PROMs in their catalogs).

So for 3rd option, you must have to configure it at very first boot up. and that must be by ISP or JTAG. Is there any problem to have a single JTAG (4-pins) connection routing to PROM?

You can program your PROM thru' JTAG and connect your FPGA to this flash in serial or in master mode.
If you don't want then don't connect all devices in a JTAG chain.

Sachin

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back