Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Is this project feasible?????

Status
Not open for further replies.

larsof54

Junior Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Is this project feasible?

I want to build a cue ball speed detector for when I break a rack of pool balls. I want to place a box on either side on the pool table sitting on top of the rails. The boxes are 6 inches long. One box will have a couple of IR emitters and the other box will have a couple of IR receivers as well as a 3-digit 7-segment display. The boxes will be 50 inches apart.

The distance between the beams (50 inches) along with estimated top speed (40 MPH) and allowable error (.02 MPH) dictate that I must detect a beam broken condition in 4 microseconds or less.

That lets out the TSOP7000 type of receiver and leaves photodiodes or phototransistors.

I have breadboarded some phototransistors. They work ok if they are close together but not so well as the distance increases.

Is this project feasible or am I dreaming?

LW

What you want to achieve is certainly achievable.

Photodiodes, particularly PIN ones, are considerably faster than phototransistors (1 or 2ns for a fairly cheap 1mm one). One way of doing it would be to use a couple of cheap laser pointers so you can get plenty of light onto the photodiodes.

Keith.

One problem to face is the interference from the room lights. An easy solution is to drive the emtters with a square wave of a few 10s of KHz. Then on the receptor end use an amplifier chain with a band pass filter of the same frequency.

flatulent said:
One problem to face is the interference from the room lights. An easy solution is to drive the emtters with a square wave of a few 10s of KHz. Then on the receptor end use an amplifier chain with a band pass filter of the same frequency.

True. Although if you use a laser source there will be so much light you may get away without needing to modulate.

If you do modulate and want to resolve a few us then you will need to modulate at a few MHz.

Keith.

I figured that 125kHz would do the trick. I could be out by 1/2 a cycle on either beam which gives me the .02 MPH error factor I'm after.

Status
Not open for further replies.