Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Is there such a thing as an RF CMOS pdk?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hilbertstrauss

Newbie level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi all,

In this PhD thesis (page 10) about some dust particle detector that was based on an RF chip , we can read

" Since this thesis was the first attempt in this way, there were not any primary experiences, or guide lines or even predefined parameters and characteristics
for the RF front end. Due to cost considerations and some other limitations, global purpose CMOS process was used, instead of RF CMOS process and this was source of many challenges in our work. Actually we were obliged to develop all of the required modeling and design procedure for passive elements, as well as the proper parasitic models for active devices. "

This got me wondering about the PDKs the foundries provide. Are the PDKs used for digital/VLSI/ASIC design different from those used for RF design? For example, I have the tsmc 0.13u pdk (it's called tsmc13rf), will it be suitable for designing RFICs? As a side note, I can see spiral inductors and mim caps among the components listed in the library of this pdk.

Many thanks.

PDK's have generally dedicated Processes but some of them do have RF Versions.If there are some RFIC elements, it's pretty clear that PDK can be used for RFIC Designs.(see PDK Guide )

PDKs with RF ”devices” are normal transistors but with additional modelling like the substrate, a more exhaustive gate model etc. There are also more restrictions on how these devices can be placed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back