Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Is it possible to insert and watch clock signal in ChipScope Pro Analyzer (ILA) ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

msdarvishi

Full Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello,

I have implemented a design targeting a Virtex-5 FPGA and I use ISE 14.7. I am using ChipScope Pro Analyzer (ILA) to capture my signals in real world and my trigger/clock sampling frequency is 50 MHz. It means that ChipScope will sample by the speed of 50MHz. Now my question is that can I insert and watch a clk in my system that is around 400MHz? I did some trials and it seems that we cannot insert any clock signal in ChipScope for watching !!! Is it true??

Any kind help is cordially appreciated in advance !

Regards,

Even if you can add a 400 MHz clock in an ILA data bit you won't get any meaningful data from it with a 50 MHz ILA sampling clock. Besides this you will have lots of setup/hold violations as the clocks drift (unless they are actually frequency locked).

- - - Updated - - -

I should probably point out that getting a clock off the global clock network into the LUT fabric has extremely limited access and will likely fail unless you instantiate a bunch of primitives. Don't know what you expect a 400 MHz clock is going to tell you. I can understand if you put in a counter that runs a 400 MHz and put the counter output in the ILA, even though you might end up with timing issues you would at least see something changing.

Now my question is that can I insert and watch a clk in my system that is around 400MHz?
As I perceive it, you are talking about sampling/measuring/observing a 400MHz signal with a 50MHz signal.

It would be wrong.A measuring signal needs to be at least double the measured signal, else your observation/evaluation would be inaccurate. I hope you have studied about Nyquist rate in the university, it is a very basic concept.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back