Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Is it possible to create a MSP antenna work at 2.4GHz with very thin fr-4 substrate?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shirpo

Newbie level 6
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi, I have seen plenty of MSP antenna design work at 2.4GHz using the regular fr-4 substrate with the thickness of 1.6mm.
So I'm wondering can we do the same but using even thinner fr-4 such as 0.5mm, 0.8mm or even 0.16mm.
I tried to search google but most of the article only using the popular 1.6mm type so I thought I might ask here
Sorry for the dumb question cause I'm still new and stil learning about designing antenna

Hi, I have seen plenty of MSP antenna design work at 2.4GHz using the regular fr-4 substrate with the thickness of 1.6mm.
So I'm wondering can we do the same but using even thinner fr-4 such as 0.5mm, 0.8mm or even 0.16mm.
I tried to search google but most of the article only using the popular 1.6mm type so I thought I might ask here
Sorry for the dumb question cause I'm still new and stil learning about designing antenna
Not a "dumb" question at all; it's not readily obvious.

The short answer is yes -- it is possible. Higher-frequency antennas for 5G applications are commonly being made on 10-mil (0.25mm) or even 5-mil-thick substrates, but these can still work for lower frequencies. The only conditions for a microstrip patch is that you have two independent conductors.

This will change the impedance profile of the patch, so you hay have to adjust the feeding point from what you see in the literature (by a small amount), and you may get slightly reduced gain, but otherwise there is not too much of a difference.

Yes it is possible to use thinner substrates. Thee are consequences including bandwidth as cited above. Antennas are always too big and can be made small if you have a sense of humor about how bad they will work. Reduced dielectric thickness can also imply increased manufacturing and material costs as well as reduced mechanical strength. Patch antennas already have relatively narrow operating bands and thinning the dielectric makes the situation worse and may leave one with an antenna that is too easily detuned. Use caution.

For a particular set of radiation characteristics increasing frequency will imply decreasing dimensions so do not confuse increasing frequency and decreasing antenna size if constant radiation patterns are desired.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back