Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Is it all right to assign the port signals in instatiation?

Status
Not open for further replies.

yinni

Newbie level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I find in a reference design that one of the port signal 'reset' is assigned '0' directly in the port map part. I wonder if it is right to do so. What is the results in hardware? Thank you!

Hi,
The synthesis tool will connect that to ground and give you a warning of reset Struck at ground. It may optimize away some of the logic also.

Best Regards,

Re: Is it all right to assign the port signals in instatiati

yinni said:
I find in a reference design that one of the port signal 'reset' is assigned '0' directly in the port map part. I wonder if it is right to do so. What is the results in hardware? Thank you!

Hi yinni,
As a result reset signal will always have 1'b0 value, i.e. it is hardwired to Gnd. I guess you meant Verilog module instantiation. You can use any valid expression in port assignment . For example,

module1 U_module1(
.rst(1'b0),
.en(sig1 & sig2),
.in({data1, data2}), // concatenation of data1 and data2 signals
.out() // out is not used
);

Re: Is it all right to assign the port signals in instatiati

There is nothing wrong with setting an input directly with 0. All inputs must be connected to some signal. 0 is simply a signal which is always 0. Leaving an input open does not cause the input to be "ignored".

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back