Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

is division operator synthesizable in this conditoin....?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tan

Full Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi,
I need to divide a number by a number which is not power of 2.
I tried it,but could not synthesize the code as it is not power of 2.
for ex:
I took a constant value 5.
and a variable 'x'.
The y = x/5;
hope my problem is clear.
Thanks

Re: Conversion of Real to integer

I don't see a relation of the question title to the question. You didn't mention the involved data types at all.

No, remember one thing, division is not synthesizable with respect to ASIC design ...
To make it be synthesizable, you have to define the algorithm and clear syntax in your package functions.
Say if you want to perform the divide by 5 : you have to call the pre_defined function say : Divide_By_Five({set of operators}) instead of directly using the division operator "/" ...

For more detailed informations why division operator is very hard to synthesize ( or in general you can say the operation involving Real(Floating Point) elements is very hard to be synthesized ) ? You cn do self practice by designing the multiply by 3, and divide by 3 circuits and compare the circuits complexity, you will archieve the most satisfied answer yourself ...

division can be synthesized by Design Compiler as long as you have Designware license.
Designware license has divider implementation, including parallel divider and pipelined divider. Just use it if your divider is a general one which is to say, you divider has no specific requirements or constraints. If your divider is a special one, design it by yourself.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back