Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

IR(infrared) to RF(radio frequency)

Status
Not open for further replies.

pete

Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
ir to rf pic

Hi! I'm experimenting with PIC remote control for remote gate control. Using IR might be interferred with light from the sun or from the vehicle itself. So, just to inquire if I can replace the IR transmitter-receiver units in a PIC with a set of radio transmitter-receiver without changing the code in the PIC? There are AM and FM 3-pin transmitter-receiver ICs for PICs. Are these direct replacement to the IR(Tx-Rx) without changing the PIC codes?
If so, can anybody give me the appropriate RF ICs? Thanks...

hi,

Are these direct replacement to the IR(Tx-Rx) without changing the PIC codes?
If so, can anybody give me the appropriate RF ICs?

generally, yes. Most IR system have a low baud, so as long as your RF modules can cope with it (think IR baud is generally 2400) then it 'should' be fine. Although RF modules do get a lot of interference. What protocols are you using for your comms?

I'm surprised you said the IR might get interference from the sun. In my experience, while limited in range, IR remotes seem to be more reliable, due to the 38Khz modulation. What IR receiver module are you using?

If you don't know about IR, search google for 'Sony RC5'. Its a standard protocol for IR remote controls, theres plenty of info, code, and schematics about.

BuriedCode.[/quote]

I guess what I mean is the IR suffers sensitivity problem when operated in open air due to the sun and the headlight from the vehicle. Maybe need correct filtering and orientation of the IR receiver. Am using an IR receiver from a TV set. I don't know its brand cuz I got it from junk TV motherboard.
But, I made up my mind. I need to close the gate when the car is already inside. I will have problem with IR since by then the IR receiver is at the back of my IR transmitter. So its better to use a radio, say 434Mhz AM which is available in Rentron- TWS-434 and RWS-434.
Thanks for your reply and any comments is welcome!!!

hi
you can use PTC (TM) IC PT2261 & PT2271 pair.
h**p://www.princeton.com.tw/
search for encooder/decoder

This ICs use for door lock&open in car App. by
UHF

Status
Not open for further replies.