Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

IR Code Analyser: PIC version?

Status
Not open for further replies.

nigelmercier

Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
In 2001 Elektor published a universal IR Code Analyser, based on a pre-programmed 87LPC764; it looks ideal, apart from this!

It displays the protocol, address, command, complete code, and type of code.

Has anyone made a PIC version?

Tried it long ago and gave it up as a bit pointless, and not very reliable.

I am curious as to how many different protocols the device would differentiate between, and what the success rate was. My suspicion is that it was probably not "universal" except in a very small universe.

Would be interested to hear more though.

My more recent mikroC attempts at non-universal domestic IR are here:

http://www.libstock.com/projects/vi...ec-sony-rc5-rc6-toshiba-ir-now-for-12f683-too

Older MPLAB asm attempts, including trying to recognise protocol, remain on my "c:" drive.

All using PICs

EDIT: Biggest problem with "universal" that I found is with IR protocols that use frequencies other than the more common 36/38/40 KHz carrier. If you restrict "universal" to these three frequencies, then life gets a little easier. Even so, the universe has probably expanded since 2001 :-D

---------- Post added at 19:18 ---------- Previous post was at 18:26 ----------

There is a muti-protocol PIC decoder here:

http://www.sbprojects.com/projects/ircontrol/picir.php

At least I think so, going from memory only. I will leave you to research what it really does.

Last edited:

Found the Elector information you talk about. Seems it is not advertised as "universal", but decodes eight "industry standard" protocols.

I wonder what these 8 protocols are, but I do not want to register to find out.

I see the gadget uses a 36 KHz receiver module, which probably means the device is for reception only from remotes that use 36KHz, 38KHz and perhaps Sony 40KHz.

Found the Elector information you talk about. Seems it is not advertised as "universal", but decodes eight "industry standard" protocols...

Yes, the "universal" was my doing, but 8 protocols isn't bad. I've seen a few with multiple sensors with diode OR gates, but I didn't want to re-invent a PIC version if I could avoid it.

Which eight protocols does it handle please? Don't need to know, but I am curious. Domestic IR is my favourite electronic subject.

Plus I might have ideas on how to tell one from another if I knew what the aim was.

EDIT: and multiple sensors are not needed, if all you want is the more common 36KHz (RC5, RC6), 38KHz (NEC), and 40KHz(Sony) . A 38KHz receiver will work with 36KHz and 40KHz, but at maybe half the range. I am curious that Elektor chose a 36KHz receiver. I would have gone for 38KHz.

Which eight protocols does it handle please? Don't need to know, but I am curious. Domestic IR is my favourite electronic subject.

Plus I might have ideas on how to tell one from another if I knew what the aim was.

EDIT: and multiple sensors are not needed, if all you want is the more common 36KHz (RC5, RC6), 38KHz (NEC), and 40KHz(Sony) . A 38KHz receiver will work with 36KHz and 40KHz, but at maybe half the range. I am curious that Elektor chose a 36KHz receiver. I would have gone for 38KHz.

Hello hexreader,

Thank you for your codes on IR so far, posted on mikroE.
Do you think you have time to make a universal IR receiver? That would be cool and could replace all existing versions. It could be based on the TSMP58000 IC from Vishay.

Thanks in advance!!

bimbla.

Thank-you Walt!

I am designing a generic audio interface. Three LEARN buttons will LEARN (Vol-up, Vol-dn, Mute) IR codes from remotes and store it against the respective functions. In the play mode, The remote will be able to control the volume and mute.
I will be using 18F67K22. TSMP7700 is on RB0 (Int. on change). LRN_Vol+, LRN_Vol- and LRN_Mute are assigned RB1-3. Besides, I have a incremental rotary encoder CH_A on RB6 and CH_B on RB7, multiplexed with PGD and PGC through a jumper arrangement.

Do any one of you have any suggestions?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back