Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

IO goes high just by touching it

Status
Not open for further replies.

ngmedaboard

Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I have an IO on a microcontroller tied to a transistor that drives a relay. It doesn't seem to be operating properly and I notice if I touch the IO with my finger it goes high or at least high enough to turn the LED on. I am not closing the circuit to anything but simply touching the IO.

Is something capacitively coupling somehow using my finger?

-NGM

Aye, it sounds like your IO is configured as an input - the voltage on your finger (due to your body acting as an antenna) is sufficient to bias the subsequent transistor into (partial) conduction.
Check your IO direction settings :)

inserting stay hum is a good test that your drive level is marginal and your circuit is sensitive to stray common mode noise. ( aka EMI ingress)

Check Vcc for transients using a scope with very short ground leads.
Check Coil voltage with two probes in diff mode A-B with short ground to see what the output looks like.

If you happen to be powered by a coin cell that would explain why, then add a sufficiently large cap across the Vcc.
If that fails and your transistor base resistor may be far too high to saturate the switch.... Note most transistor specs for switch use ( except Zetex*) use Ic/Ib=10 That means ignore hFE when in Vce is in saturated mode.

I might add that few design Engineers today realize that not only do transistor switches have a low gain of 10 at rated Vce sat. but Relays too have an effective current gain of 10 when you compare DC max contact current to DC coil current. I wish Universities would teach the benefits of modern automotive Integrated switches. low voltage low current logic level drive . > 2A drive, very low Ron and very cheap. << $1

hint search for "High Side or "Low Side" IC switches when you get a chance. Digikey have a ton of them. PMIC - Power Distribution Switches (1854 items)

Last edited:

Hi,

What happens if you put a 10k resistor from the transistors base to 0v.

Status
Not open for further replies.