Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Interfacing Bluetooth USB Dongle with Microcontroller

Status
Not open for further replies.
bluetooth chip registers must be available

No java experience here. But niket_304 may be able to help out on that subject. For fairly straightforward embedded bluetooth applications using the MHZ and MEMORY CHALLENGED range of microcontrollers, the bluetooth modules as suggested by blueroomelectronics is a good way to go. Most have UART or other interface options you can hook straight up to your controller. Code up some simple commands as required by the module and you're cookin with gas!.

bluetooth stacks microcontroller

i visited blueroomelectronics but couldnt understand single thing..r these just the platforms or wat?and i dont know wat all things i need to make the system work, let aside the coding of the controller..can somebody alteast show me a way to gather stuffs which i could require to make such an system. moreover, i would need a controller/processor which would work uclinux as that would save the pain of writing a bluetooth stack( if i ever could!!!)..
guys, do help me out..
thnx.

pic usb bluetooth dongle

Like bluerooms site says on the home page, they design electronic kits that use the PIC models of microcontrollers as the brains. I didn't suggest you go to the blueroom site to find an appropriate platform for your project.

Maybe some one here has had experience using a bit more powerful controller that is supported by uclinux, has the USB stack included and has the scoop on bluetooth stack availability for the same part. I am sure they'll chim in here any time now. Freescale coldfire is offering a developement demo board for 50 buck that has usb and ethernet capabilities on it. Probably won't last too long.

microcontroller - bluetooth

There are many higher end MCUs which supports uClinux. This is very interesting subject and prob. you need to put more efforts to start with Embedded Linux platform, after that thing will go smoothly.

krishnasty said:
i visited blueroomelectronics but couldnt understand single thing..r these just the platforms or wat?and i dont know wat all things i need to make the system work, let aside the coding of the controller..can somebody alteast show me a way to gather stuffs which i could require to make such an system. moreover, i would need a controller/processor which would work uclinux as that would save the pain of writing a bluetooth stack( if i ever could!!!)..
guys, do help me out..
thnx.

As a newbie, I wud suggest you to choose appropriate platform or MCU which wud satisfy memory and power needs as per ur system specifications. ARM,Coldfire,MSP are the best processors to run uClinux, if you do not have mixed signal processing. You will have to get a development board of one of the processors which is supported by uClinux. Just google about uClinux, you will find step by step info on porting uClinux on ARM/CF based boards and all.

I have recently started working on uClinux with Blackfin DSPs...and Blackfin uClinux does have support of bluetooth networking.
(**broken link removed**)
So I can assume that even ARM uClinux will also have such kind of support, as blackfin uClinux and ARM uClniux are using same kernels..

Checkout following links for quick info abt dis domain...

www.uclinux.org
**broken link removed**
http://www.arm.linux.org.uk/

Added after 24 minutes:

shingadaddy said:
Freescale coldfire is offering a developement demo board for 50 buck that has usb and ethernet capabilities on it. Probably won't last too long.

Can you give more information about the demo board...Where did you find this offer?? It wud be a great deal to get CF demo board gor just $50...

bluetooth microcontroller interfacing

Thanks shingadaddy...........

But dis is CF V2 family of MCUs which does not support uClinux...memory subsystem provided in dis demo board is very low and incompatible to run uClinux on it.... I think only CF V3 and V4 are supported by uClinux...

connect usb bluetooth dongle microcontroller

Glad you are well versed enough to recognize these aspects. I received the info in an EMAIL. Being unfamiliar with their offerings, I was merely going off the information about full USB support and ETHERNET capabilities. Yeah I noticed the RAM was pathetically puny. Your experience with this range of offerings is a good asset! Maybe fishing around on their site might dig up some other offering that does fit the desired specs. Maybe also their is a place one can surf to, that lists the uclinux platforms / compatibilities. I've not been in that water :(

usb+bluetooth microcontroler

In short, To interface a USB bluetooth dongle with microcontroller we must understand the dongle.

The dongle doesnt consist of bluetooth stack. its just a 2.4GHz RF transmitter and receiver and can be interfaced with USB.

On the other end microcontroller needs HOST capability. USB HOST(master) are little complex than USB DEVICE (slave).

Third u need specification for the protocol used in bluetooth dongle. for bluesoil u can find in its SDK_Documents. u can find this in following link : **broken link removed**

Fourth u need to modify the SDK to suit ur application. Suppose if u have non-OS platform, then u need to remove OS dependencies.

All the Best !!

interfacing microcontroller to bluetooth

Looks like this thread hasn't been updated in a while.

I've been wanting to do this type of uC interfacing also.

Check this chip/chipset out for possibilities:

**broken link removed**

hi
a nice discussion..i need to know how pc communicates with usb devices,what code it sends for hand shaking,for data sending and is that applicable to microcontroller.if any one have those hex codes/c++/c codes or having link of site having that please help me.

Actually I've been working on this.

The BCM2045 chip has multiple interfaces, including USB, SPI, and UART. My first guess is that any of these interfaces is equally capable of carrying the Rx and Tx traffic.

The dongels are remarkably cheap and contain your primary oscillator, 5v-to-3.3v regulator, and antenna. And, at up to 3 Mbit/sec, this could do some neat stuff.

However, the BCM2045 chip is a fine pitch, high pin count BGA. IF the pcb does not include wires to route the UART or SPI pins away from the BGA, you cannot connect them without making a new board. The BT USB dongel boards are pretty minimal and it seems unlikely they'd route wires away from the chip which they have no use for in the USB application.

Making a new board may be difficult due to the density of the BGA, and, well, the fact that it's a BGA. The board would need to address the RF concerns on the signal and implement an onboard antenna.

Even if you do have another type of device which is not a BGA with hidden, inaccessible pads, you won't have the luxury of big, easy-to-attach gold-plated pins as used on the USB port. You'll be soldering fine-gauge wire wrap wire to a very fine pitch pin under a magnifying glass.

I've been looking for a spec sheet for the BCM2045 but unfortunately it has never been released online. There's a 2-page product brief which shows the chip has a UART and SPI port but no info on how to use it or even which pins those come off of. I don't know what kind of handshaking and framing and all has to go on over these ports, I doubt it's just a data layer where you put in SPI on one unit and get SPI out another like was a straight-wire thing.

LMX would cost like 10x more (well, on Digikey) and it appears they're all BGA, which presents a prototyping problem.

There's the Microchip MRF24J40MA-I/RM for IEEE 802.15.4 stuff though, and it's got an excellent 400m LOS range, like $10 for a complete module on Mouser.

So any one have a code for interfacing USB Bluetooth with microcontroller AVR or PIC as a host or not

If i just want the bluetooth dongle act as a receiver, is that when interfacing with uC also need a host?

@brianwizard:
we've read your post about bluetooth interfacing with pic micro,and you've said that you had made a project of an electronic billboard via bluetooth, so could you please give us your concept of how you did it, and wish you to help us with this.we are working right now with our thesis and we had a concept of connecting a device (with bluetooth dongle) to a cellphone (w/bluetooth). the device must have a pic microcontroller to control the alarm( maybe to vibrate,to sound).

Status
Not open for further replies.