Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Interfacing 5v Tx to 3.3v Rx?

Status
Not open for further replies.

blapcb

Full Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I have a 5v device sending data out on its Tx and I have to connect it to a micro's (MSP430) Rx which is 3.3v level. I tried using a simple resistive divider (5K and 10K) but behavior is erratic (sometimes works, sometimes does not, sometimes starts when you touch it...). What is a better way of doing this? Using a MOSFET?

What is the speed of your communication?
Maybe, lower values of R, did you try 1K and 2K2?
If resistors doesn't work, you need to use a transistor. Bipolar transistors works well.
If transistors still don't work, you must use a chip voltage level translator.

No I did not try another resistor value, I guess I should.

A transistor? I never saw a design using a regular transistor. Do you mean a MOSFET? That is the only type of design I have seen for 5v -> 3.3v

A bipolar transistor will work ok. Let me see if can I found a circuit called "front dog" or something similar.

it should be 6.8K paired with 10K
this should you a voltage level well within the minimum-maximum specification

Status
Not open for further replies.