Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

interface thermal printer with AVR

Status
Not open for further replies.

Noman Yousaf

Full Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
hi
how can i use any thermal serial printer with ATMEGA8?
from where i can get data of printer?
is there standard data format to be print in all thermal printers which r used in banks for qmatic systems?

i just want to know that which data will print which sized and font of characters.

Hi,

I think the problem is "any".
Different printers may speak different languages.
They may have different interface speed.
They may have different printing speed, page width, cutter functions, and, and, and..

from where i can get data of printer?
Manufacturer. Datasheet.

Klaus

Hi,

Mention more details about thermal printer( part no, manufacturer etc..) & interface i.e
communication protocol b/w thermal printer & controller.

I'm eager to know about it, can look further.....

Most serial printer understand "plain" ASCII data with CR/LF termination and print them using a default font. In so far there's a chance to make it work by trying some popular baud rates if you don't get a manual. Printer commands for font selection, graphics etc. could use any format. Epson ESC command set would be a hot candidate however. There may be specific standards for banking printers, not my business.

Hi

can i conclude that Epson ESC command is the standard communicating protocol between microcontroller and thermal printer?

Don't conclude anything, check the specifications of popular point of sales printers.

i just wanted to know about standerd communication protocol.

is this serial (RS232)?
and can i print the characters by entering the rows and columns position.
like we do in character dot matrix LCD?

Hi,

Please accept this: there is no general answer to your questions.

Choose a printer and read it's datasheet.

Klaus

can i print the characters by entering the rows and columns position.
like we do in character dot matrix LCD?
Printer output is left to right and line by line, in so far there's row and column position in the printer data.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back