Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Interface between device and PC

Status
Not open for further replies.

zeamadoo

Newbie level 6
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
visual c# + w3100a

Hello...

I have a project which is about transfering signals coming from a device that measures heart beats and generates a signal, and to get the signal matlab was used for programming.

I need to transfer the signal and measurement from device to pc to be viewed on a website (online)...
what would be best to use for interfacing and how is the whole process done?

It would be appreciated if i could get help from anybody.
Thanks!

If your device has a serial port you can transmitt data to a PC through the RS-232 port. This is easy method of transmitting data between devices, PC, PLC etc.

If it doesn't, can you tell us what outputs does it have ..

Thanks for ur reply...
I will check and let you know..
But i have another question as well..
do i need so sort of program to gather the data collected from the device by the port to be able to disply it online?

PC has to be "taught" what to do with this device.

For example, a GPS receiver sends a lot of data every second. If you would like to display Latitude and Longitude only you will have to program your PC to read the whole transmission and extract the relevant information.
Another example can be a device that has to be "iterrogated" ( a data logger, ..). What this means is the the PC sends some bytes as a request and the device answers to this request. This is so called "command-response" protocol ..

What if their using a NI Card to transfer data to pc.?
Should I have a program as well to control coming data...

also, i did search the web for information about the NI Card couldnt find anything useful.
Do u have any refrences abt it that could help me?

Thanks

Whatever hardware you install you will still have to write application software to run it. National Instruments cards are good pieces of hardware and NI provides extended support for their products, including drivers for all A/D, DIO etc cards ..
First, register with NI and identify your local NI agent. From them you can receive a CD called "INSTRUPEDIA" which contains a catalog evaluation programs, application notes and so on ..
Also, you can request the LABVIEW7 (or 7.1) Express evaluation version, LOOKOUT evaluation etc.
Most of the above you can find on the internet: https://my.ni.com/myni/myni

zeamadoo

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
U can use RS232 serial port because your data rate is not so high and u can send data with a 19200 baud.for this purpose I have a VC++ example which u can use in free.
goto
www.programmersheaven.com
and search for "TxRxCommunication"
you can use the program or use the source code fr your own program.

Thanks AsAdi1970
But an NI card is used, and matlab is used to generate the data... it is a signal and i have to figure how to make this signal viewable on the website..
would you be able to help me with that..?
thanks

use PHP programming for generate figure of signal to JPG file. and view on the website

Use FT245BM (ready-to-use USB FIFO with free drivers)
or
WIZNET W3100A (10/100 Ethernet + harware protocol support)
or both of them.

If you use WIZNET W3100A you can connect your device
to WWW DIRECTLY (WEB-server example for W3100A
you can find in Internet) using small controller with I2C
to moving your data to W3100A

In modern PC (like notebook) you may not find RS-232C.

What is the difference between thsoe ready made card with self made A/D?

cable cable and cable

ok,this is my prob, i've been to LVR but there seems dizzying me.

what if i...
1. connect my male usb smart card reader to usb hub (4 hub minimal)
2. buy a usb-serial converter
3. connect male usb to the hub
4. connect the serial to my comp
5. open comm port in vb 6.0 to capture data from smart card reader along the way..

would the data be the same?

zeamadoo said:
Hello...

I have a project which is about transfering signals coming from a device that measures heart beats and generates a signal, and to get the signal matlab was used for programming.

Thanks!

You may use paralell or serial port to send/receive the data from/to the PC. It is very easy and you may find quite a few books on this topic (Serial and paralell port interfacing) in the upload/download section of the forum.

It depends on the bandwidth of your input signals as well. If it is low BW required,then Parallel (8Mbps) and Serial (115kbps) might be sufficient for you. But if u need a high speed measurement,then USB is better.

Hi, I need to connect an XML sending device to the COM port and read and write data to it.

Hi, i would like to know how i can access the COM port in Visual C#.NET.

I am using the 'Visual Studio .NET 2003'.

Kind Souls please help...

use borland builder with the free gcc component to use serial port

hi all,

Note: thanks for the help 'mmohamed15'.

However i am new to programming in VisualC#.NET.

Is there any Other (simpler) way in which i can access the COM port (read/write to XML device connected to it) using either Wndows Application (prefered) or Console Application!!

The "using System.IO.Ports" is not available in VS.NET 2003. Likewise the 'MSComm' control.

Please help.. thanks

i think winsoft has such a component

better go for simple interfacing like parallel port and serial port. Can u explain more about ur hardware.
For more tutorials about parallel port interfacing see
MY EXPERIENCE IN PARALLEL PORT INTERFACING
you can get it from yahoo group-booksbybibin
h**p://groups.yahoo.com/group/booksbybibin/

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back