Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Instance Arrays for Datapath in Virtuoso Schematic

Status
Not open for further replies.

terranpro

Newbie level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi,

I'm beginning VLSI student working on a 16-bit simplified datapath design. I have bitslice instances that I need to instantiate and array, but I do not wish to make control line connections for each part - I'd like to become proficient with the cadence tools.

From reading the manual and experimenting, I see that I can make instance names using X<0:15> to create an array of instances in the schematic, and connections only one time.

This will work great for part of my design, but for my adder bitslice, I need the carry out (Ci+1) of bit 0 to propagate to Ci of bit 1, and so on. What is the recommended way of handling this ? If I have to make splits in my instance arrays, how can I tap a single bit from a bus line and route it to the single bit instances? Any connection made to a net results in a single net?

I've posted a screen shot in hopes it may clarify.

Thanks,
Brian

P.S. also posted image @ https://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=30981fp&s=5

*** Notes on Image ***
The decoder contains all my control lines for accessing the 4 register (16bit per reg) register file. WDk, Ai, and Bi, are all 16bits.

fastadder_1x Ci (carry in) and Ci+1 (carry out) are the nets I'm asking about

I tried to connect Ci+1 to Ci and use Create Wire Name to somehow connect these? (Say Gnd => Ci<0>, Ci+1<0:14> => Ci<1:15>, Ci+1 => outpin) ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back