Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Input protection with Schottky - what to do about this problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

blapcb

Full Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I am using the attached circuit to condition external signals for connection to a microcontroller. The Vcc is 3.3v. But, what happens is, that the voltage at the junction of the two schottkys is actually Vcc + the forward drop on the diodes which in some cases comes very close to the limit of 3.6v which the microcontroller is comfortable with. What should I change or which diodes should I select in order to have the input at Vcc? Thanks.

Attachments

• Dual Schottly.PNG
    Dual Schottly.PNG
    8.6 KB · Views: 109

first of all, you should check your mcu as it is likely to have clamp diodes on the pins already.

2ndly, it is hard to imagine real-world conditions under which what you described will happen.

mmm... at 24VCC input.. i would change the lower diode with a zener diode... maybe 3v 500mW just to make sure...

Status
Not open for further replies.