Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Input capacitance for 100x oscilloscope probe

Status
Not open for further replies.

CrabMan

Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi,

I am trying to make a 100x oscilloscope probe, i googled this and found some schematics, basically for 100x probe the voltage divider ratio should be 100:1, my scopes(Tektronix TDS2002) input impedance is 1Mohm, but i don't know the input capacitance.

I tried to calculate the capacitance from whats written on the 10x probe (9Mohm, 16pF), but it doesn't work, all i get is some distortion, secondly what kind of wire should be used and i also read somewhere that for Coaxial cable the capacitance of wire should be taken into account, one more thing that I found was a small RC filter circuit near the connector end of one of the probes. Should I also include a filter in the circuit and if yes then what kind

Please help me out.

oscilloscope probe

Hello CrabMan,

Please see if this can of any help.

Regards!

100x oscilloscope probe

Thanks to jorgito for providing the profound literature. It's still presenting the state-of-the-art for passive and previous generation active probes.

my scopes(Tektronix TDS2002) input impedance is 1Mohm, but i don't know the input capacitance
I don't have a recent Tek scope, 485 has been my last one, but I'm collecting manuals for reference. You may want to take a short look at the specifications chapter in TDS200x manual.

The basic question for your DIY 100:1 probe is the intended bandwidth. It decides, if you come along with a simple compensated RC divider or have to consider transmission line effects and provide respective dampening means or possibly a resistive cable, as discussed in the Tek literature.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back