Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

in state machine rtl next state not defined

Status
Not open for further replies.

sun_ray

Advanced Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Suppose in the rtl of a state machine, in a state the next_state is not defined. Will the state machine enter into the same state again and again? Why?

I suppose the next_state is generate in a combinational process, based on state and other signals.
If state is only reload by next_state in the synchrone process.
If in a state case, next_state is define to the current state.
So only a reset signal on the state flop could change it.

Here in this particular state next_state is not defined as current state even. Actually in this state next_state is not defined at all. So the thread started.

I would argue you don't have a state machine if the next_state is not defined. Perhaps you can show an RTL example where the next_state is not defined.

I have a state machine which have 18 states in total. All state in this state machine have the next_state assignment statement inside it except one state where the next_state assignment is not present. Can you please answer the question in post no. 1 now?

Regards

If the next_state is not given inside a particular state say state_A then the it won't be possible for the state machine to change its state at all once it enters state_A. Only upon a reset the state will be reset. Otherwise the FSM continues to remain in state_A which might give an impression of the same state getting triggered continuously.

So indeed you have specified what happens when it reaches state_A, it stays in state_A.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back