Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

[General] In CAN bus is it possible to make a node bus off physically

Status
Not open for further replies.

saswat

Junior Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
In CAN bus is it possible to make a node bus off physically ??

Not sure if you understand the concept of dominant/recessive CAN bus state. A CAN node that is not transmitting is floating and does not load the bus. You can consider it physically off. If the question is referring to controller activity, just set it up to not responding.

Reactions: saswat

saswat

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
"If the question is referring to controller activity, just set it up to not responding."

This i understood,if i am wrong please correct me..

Suppose two nodes i.e node1 and node2 are communicating each other and if node2 will not respond then node 1 will go to busoff.
I think node 1 will not go to busoff as in CAN specification sheet page no. 26 last paragraph it is mentioned that "If during start-up only 1 node is online, and if this node transmits some message, it will get no ack, detect an error and repeat the message. It can become "ERROR PASSIVE" but not "BUS OFF" "
Please correct me if i am wrong

I might have misunderstood the original question. What you are addressing in your latest post is protocol layer related and has nothing to do with "physical off", I think.

You can e.g. keep the CAN controller in reset or set it to listen-only and it will no longer interact with the bus.

Reactions: saswat

saswat

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
You can e.g. keep the CAN controller in reset or set it to listen-only and it will no longer interact with the bus.
Ya this can happen.......but i mean to say is, can i increase the TEC value of a node physically (by means of any external activity) so that the node will enter into busoff condition. (if TEC >255 then the node enters into busoff).

Status
Not open for further replies.