Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

I2C Bus Data Timing Clarification

Mtech1

Junior Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello,

I have been studying the I2C bus specification (UM10204), but I'm still unclear about the timing of data transfer and reception on the I2C bus. As far as I understand, data is transferred on the falling edge of the clock, while data is received on the rising edge of the clock.

Could you please clarify in both scenarios: when the master sends data to the slave and when the slave sends data to the master, on which clock edge does the sender send data, and on which clock edge does the receiver receive data?"

The basic point that SDA has to be stable while SCL is high. This implies that SDA has to be set by the sender before SCL rising edge, for standard speed a setup time of min. 250 ns is specified. Also SDA has to be read by the receiver latest at the falling edge, hold time is specified as zero. Below diagram illustrates the timing relation.

1000002058.jpg

LaTeX Commands Quick-Menu: