Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

improve return loss of power splitter

Status
Not open for further replies.

Greenhill

Junior Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
insertion loss improve

Hi all,

Anyone have idea how 2 make minor improvement on return loss of power splitter without changing its original design?

In general power splitters (Wilkinson, resistive, etc) provides the best VSWR if there is an optimum impedance termination at all ports (even at the unused ports).

Build up with microstrip lines? As a real power splitter will always differ from an ideal one, experimenting with some small pieces of copper foil on your transmission lines can make wonders.

It's just a trial & error method, but depending on which frequencies or bandwidth you use the splitter for, it might help to improve the performance.

Keep all transmission line as short as it possible and check connectors footprints.

Any other idea? :) Thanks in advance

Don't you think, it's some kind of fruitless to discuss design details of an unknown power splitter type?

I dont know much..
Thank you all for some idea.

I agree with FvM. Unfortunately very often people ask something strange. Sometimes it is simple impossible to understand what he is asking. And a lot of dirty language with all these shortcuts that probably good for kids when they exchange SMS but unacceptable for professionals. You guys are engineers, not the kids in kindergarten!

These days a lot of old people cannot adapt to the new type of communications of young people (unfortunately me also). Even some teachers in schools cannot adapt, although they have to do.

Related to this forum. Users just look for quick answers to solve their problems, and not for doctoral dissertations.

First of all, you cannot fix the splitter without making changes.

Microwave Engineering, Pozar has an excellent section on various kinds of splitters and is a very uesful reference. The details of your splitter are not provided.

Go look up the sections in the referenced book and you will find what is practical and what is not.

These days a lot of old people cannot adapt to the new type of communications of young people.
Apparently, there are different styles of communication. But no matter if I dislike the style of some contributions, I am generally able to understand them, except for those, that are mainly confuse.

In the present discussion, I simply missed (and still miss) some basic information from the originator.

I do not think that this is related to the old people. I am not young but I am a ham radio operator and absolutely comfortable with any radio codes. There are a lot even two letters combinations and there is no problem to understand them. I think that engineers must not use such a language, what is acceptable and usable for one situation is not good for other. This is related to human and professional culture. We exchange a lot of text messages in our offices but never use dirty language. Why we use it here. If you use it it means you do not respect your correspondent. I think that teachers are absolutely right when demand good language from students. They must teach to good things.

Hi all,

Sorry to tell that i dont realise u guys sharing about communication techniques here.That really touching to see wisdon people handling things.U guys are great.Yes,i am looking for quick answer here in the forum.I may not having some basic of physics that i should have, just have to adapt to engineering in a short time.Its fate.That i can say:)

Its wilkinson power splitter here.Not very sure what details else i sud provide before seeking for a more specific problem.I will see to u guys expertise n update accordingly for extra information i should provide.

Thank you very much!There is still hope for fr microwave everywhere!

Wilkinson is narrow band device. It should have good return loss around the central frequency. If you need wider band you can try cascaded Wilkinson.

I think i already have wide bandwith,just the return loss and insertion loss problem.Thanks

But bandwidth is determined by decent insertion loss and return loss.

IS it possible to design wilkinson power splitter using layout of Agilent ADS?IS that very hard to design?Thanks

I did not use ADS for so easy task, so cannot tell how hard or easy it may be. Genesys will do it on a fly.

HI RF-OM

thanks so much for your attention.Y do u think Genesys is good?Anyobe use ADS to design layout for wilkinson power splitter before?Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back