Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

IMPACT work mode need help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Matrix_YL

Advanced Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
difference selectmap jtag

Hi all

IMPACT work modes are so many that confuse me ,who can explain it more clear or recommend some materials , ebook for it.

For example what 's difference with system ACE, PROM Fommatter and SVF-STAPL -XSVF ? What' s difference with SelectMap ,Slave Searial and Desktop Configuration ?
thank you

work mode

Xilinx iMPACT, right? I doubt you'll find any more documentation than the built-in help. If you tell us exactly what you'd like to do, maybe someone can tell you the steps.

SelectMAP and Slave Serial are parallel and serial methods of configuring your FPGA. See your FPGA data sheet. Desktop Configuration sounds like something in Windows.

I don't like the iMPACT GUI, so I run it in batch mode. Here is an example that configures the FPGA on the Spartan-3 Starter Board with my project file top.bit, and skips the XCF02S serial PROM. I use a Parallel Cable IV:

My batch file:
impact -batch jburn.b

My jburn.b file:
setMode -bscan
setCable -port lpt1
addDevice -p 1 -file build\top.bit
addDevice -p 2 -file d:\xilinx71\xcf\data\xcf02s.bsd
program -e -p 1
quit

Matrix_YL

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
bit file

hello can u pls explain the how your problem is solved

xilinx impact batch parallel cable iv

Hello you can go through the following details and understand the basic of this conf.

iMPACT, a tool featuring batch and GUI operations, allows you to perform two basic functions: Device Configuration and File Generation.

Configuration Mode enables you to configure your PLD designs through four modes of configuration; Boundary-Scan, Slave Serial, SelectMAP, and Desktop Configuration.

File Generation Mode enables you to create the following types of programming files; System ACE CF, System ACE MPM, PROM, SVF, STAPL, and XSVF.

iMPACT also enables you to do the following:

Read back and verify design configuration data

Debug configuration problems

Execute XSVF files

Note You can toggle between Configuration Mode and File Generation Mode using the Mode menu.

Configuration Mode
When configuring devices in iMPACT, you must have one of five cables; Parallel Cable IV, Parallel Cable III, Platform Cable USB, MultiLINX™ Cable, or MultiPRO Cable (Desktop Configuration Cable).

Boundary-Scan
Boundary-Scan mode is an industry standard (IEEE 1149.1, and 1532) serial programming mode. External logic from a cable, microprocessor, or other device is used to drive the JTAG specific pins, Test Data In (TDI), Test Mode Select (TMS), and Test Clock (TCK) and sense device response on Test Data Out (TDO). This mode is the most popular mode of configuration due to its standardization and ability to program FPGAs, PLDs, and PROMs through the same four JTAG pins. The data in this mode is loaded at one bit per TCK.

SelectMAP
SelectMAP mode is supported by the Virtex™ families. SelectMAP mode allows parallel reading and writing through byte-wide ports. An external clock source, microprocessor, download cable or other FPGA is required. The data is loaded one byte per CCLK. This mode is typically used as a configuration mode on devices when configuration speed is an important factor.

Slave Serial
Slave Serial mode allows for daisy-chain configurations and is supported by all Xilinx FPGA families, but not Xilinx® CPLDs. In this mode, an external clock, such as a microprocessor, another FPGA, or download cable are required. Data is loaded at one bit per CCLK.

Desktop Configuration
Desktop Configuration mode is used to complete single, socket-based programming of non-volital devices (CPLDs, PROMs, and System ACE™ MPM ) using the MultiPRO cable and associated sockets. The MultiPRO cable takes advantage of the IEEE-1284 ECP protocol and Xilinx iMPACT software to achieve download speeds similar to the Parallel Cable IV. Desktop Programmer mode replaces the HW-130.

if any further inf is req feel free.

rishi

impact batch mode

does anyone know how can i include data with my bit file and download both of them on the PROM ??!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back