Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

im color blind, and how bad it is in electronic?

Status
Not open for further replies.

lockman_akim

Advanced Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
i have diploma in mechatronic..i want to further my studies..before this a have go for interview for technician post.. i pass the interview, but im not pass the medical checkup..i have color blind for pink-violet and brown-red..but i have driving license..n i know what trafic light color is..

but after i failed for the medical checkup, i realize that i should do something such as further my studies to different course.. is that a good idea? i really interest in electronic..should i stop my interest coz of my physical weakness? how bad is color blind in electronic field??

There is not much in electronics that requires colour discrimination. At one time reading resistor colour codes did, but with surface mount being the norm it isn't really an issue. Even then, a multimeter could be used to check resistors.

The other area is wire colours. I guess in certain jobs that may still be important, although I am sure they are the minority.

Have they rejected you because of the colour blindness?

Keith

yes..they have reject me because of that.. i go to the interview with my 2 other fren..so 3 of us already confirm get the job but with one condition that is pass the medical checkup..i dont pass the color test.. myb as technician color is something really important.. but it not really a big deal rite if im looking for electronic engineer post after i finish my dgree?

I guess the job may have involved wiring but sometimes people have fixed rules which make no sense. For being an electronic engineer (designer) colour is not important.

Keith

it really grateful hearing that from someone that very expert in electronic.. if no company going to employ me after this, myb i should i have my own company like you mr keith..haha

I have worked for a few companies, large ($10B company) & small and had quite a few medicals. No one has ever checked that I am colour blind (I am!). They are usually just trying to make sure I won't drop dead before I have finished the project or for an insurance company deciding the premium for "key man" insurance.

If you want to be a designer I wouldn't worry about it.

Keith

haha..your are color blind too? is that "key man" is your nickname? sorry my english is not really good.. yes.. i want to be a designer.. but i think my knowledge rite know in electronic is very weak..especially in analog circuit.. i just finish my study a few month ago.. i learn the teory..but dosnt know when to apply.. i think it gonna be a same thing when i further my studies..

The term "Key man insurance" is using the word key meaning "important" or "significant" or "critical". Companies take out the insurance so when I get killed it covers the cost of picking up the badly documented mess I have left behind and the delay it causes to the project ;)

It is actually a coincidence, but that was also the intended meaning of the word in my company name when I chose it.

I think studies teach you the theory. You then need practical experience to really understand what you are doing. That takes time - longer than the time you spend learning the theory. So, I wouldn't be discouraged if you feel you are struggling even though you now know the theory - it will come with time.
Try to find a job with people you can learn from.

Keith

alrite..thanks for you advice mr keith..it already morning in my country know..but im still playin with electronic stuff in my room but my eyes telling me that i should stop know..nice to know you..:)

well, you can't read resistor codes but you can just use an ohmmeter for them.

At least you weren't working on a career as a flower arranger or fashion designer.:shock:

Here's a product that might be handy for you: **broken link removed**. It will measure through hole components also.

it really grateful hearing that from someone that very expert in electronic.. if no company going to employ me after this, myb i should i have my own company like you mr keith..haha

thats the spirit man, the good thing about being a electronic engineer is that u can have ur own company. i completed my ug in 2007. from then i have my own company.

really..what company really do? is there any vacant?? hahaha..just kidding..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back