Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

If base current is higher than Ic....

Status
Not open for further replies.

archie18

Newbie level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I would like to know what happens if base current is higher than collector current.
For e.g if my Ic = 1mA( load resistor=5K) , Vcc=+5V and I am applying 5v to base through 1K resistor. I am using this as a switch.
Under these circumstances will my transistor 2n2222 get burnt/damaged? or is it okay to use like this.
Thx,
Archie

Check the 2n2222's data sheet but it looks like even 50mA of the base current (see section on Vbesat) will not kill it ..

:wink:
IanP

Transistor operation will be safe up to at least 50 or 100 mA base current, I don't find a rating in the 2N2222 data sheet. It's not unusual, to have Ib > Ic in saturated switch operation, slower turn-off can be a problem however.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back