Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How is this IC is better than an RC

FreshmanNewbie

Full Member level 6
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I would like to understand how is this IC better than an RC?

My objective is that, I would to generate a power sequence for a device.
In that case, I have an option to use this IC or use an RC (with the right time constant).

In that case, how is this IC more advantangeous than a simple RC? Or is the RC a better choice?

It monitors the absolute supply voltage rather than following whatever is there.
It gives a more precise delay before releasing the reset.
It gives a logic change output rather than analog.
It debounces the manual reset input.
It takes up less board space!

Brian.

Hi,

The datasheet, first page, offers a "feature list".
I´ts the most short and basic information what this IC is able to do.

So just looking at this overview ... how can this be compared to an RC?

Klaus

Can you think of all the effects of Vdd errors from sag, dips, spikes and don't want to have a false reset and lose memory states?

Can you define the Vdd threshold and duration for a reset?

Do you want a precise threshold or one that depends on the initial condition and the RC response to the disturbance on Vdd?

The default threshold for the IC is;
1699901545396.png

1699901498736.png

You may want a higher threshold and be more sensitive to low voltage.

How you expect RST to perform for UVP (under-voltage protection) depends on your design criteria. The one that meets all your design criteria

Of course the simplest POR is indeed a RC network, Vdd
resistor to RTSb, cap from RSTb to Gnd.

One of my uncles was an early Apple fan, and had an Apple II
that wouldn't start. Bad cap on the reset network.

The good ol' 5V everything (mostly) days....

Hi,

Of course the simplest POR is indeed a RC network, Vdd
of course one would at first think about a Power On Reset...

But the OP asked for power sequencing a device .... without any further description. (So we know it is NOT used as a POR)

While a RESET input of a microcontroller has specified levels usually including some hysteresis ... we don`t know nothing about the power sequencing circuit.

It´s like asking about "nuts and bolts" (RC) to be used in a "gear box" (power sequencing) but not saying anything about whether the gear box is in a car, bicycle, a kitchen machine (size, force, or any other specification | function, timing, accuracy..)

Klaus

LaTeX Commands Quick-Menu: