Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

I2C hardware implementation

Status
Not open for further replies.

karthikkrv85

Full Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Dear all...

I would like to know how the hardware part of I2C is implemented. I mean, consider data register is a buffer and each bits will be left shifted and transmitted in the SDA (with open drain logic). Similarly what kind of logic are behind the status registers and what are the gates, transistor or buffers are available.

Thanks and regards,
karthikkr

Are you attempting to implement a softI2C or bit banged I2C on a microcontroller? If so what microcontroller are you using in your design?

BigDog

hai bigdogguru.. actually i am not trying to implement softI2C or bit banging type coding. I wanted to know the functionality of I2C hardware.
For example

1. a port pin of micro controller has a latch, one or 2 FET.
2. a serial buffer is having shift registers and transmits the data bit by bit.

Similarly, a I2C hardware constructed by what elements and how it is finding the status of the bus. I didnt find documents related to this details

V

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Philips Semiconductors is actually the father of the I2C protocol:

The I2C-bus and how to use it (including specifications)

Almost everything you would want to know about the I2C protocol:

I2C Bus Website

There are FPGA implementations in both Verilog and VHDL available at:

OpenCores

BigDog

The first two link shows only about the software implementation. The hardware part is not available except open drain configuration. I think the status registers or clock configuration circuits to be presented to understand complete functionality. I am not going to do any research but i feel knowing these details will be good.

Sorry i know very little about FPGA's.. Anyway i have registered to download the design. it may take 2 or 3 days. Mean while i would like to know any other details related to my topic.

Thanks for ur kind reply...

Status
Not open for further replies.