Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

I want to know where to use sdf and spf.

Austin_Bae

Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Both spef and sdf can be used for PrimeTime, but I know that spef is preferred.

However, I don't know why sdf is preferred when doing Dynamic Timing Analysis.

Isn't it SPEF that R and C values are added in the sdf file?
So I think SPEF is more accurate, but it's confusing.

Solution
SDF, typically, appears early in the design flow. We can do simulations of a gate level netlist with an SDF and check if things are ok.
SPEF appears much later since it is the output of extraction done on a layout. At this point, you rarely care about design simulation since you will do LEC between final layout and netlist. In a sense, yes, SPEF is more accurate, but it also is meant for a very different use.
SDF, typically, appears early in the design flow. We can do simulations of a gate level netlist with an SDF and check if things are ok.
SPEF appears much later since it is the output of extraction done on a layout. At this point, you rarely care about design simulation since you will do LEC between final layout and netlist. In a sense, yes, SPEF is more accurate, but it also is meant for a very different use.

Solution
Helpful Answer Positive Rating !!

LaTeX Commands Quick-Menu:

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back