Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

I dont understand LEF and DEF

Status
Not open for further replies.

phutanesv

Full Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Dear freinds

What is this LEF and DEf file. how do we get this , where is this made used.

what is the purpose?

Phutane

Hi Phutane,

LEF - Library Extraction format....
These are the file which contains physical information abt libraries. These are the inputs to encounter tool to know abt libraries.
DEF - After routed netlist, we can also save the option, File - Save - DEF.....

This DEF is going to input for generation of SPEF in Celtic tool.
May be some other reason also ther for DEF.

Def is nothing but it contains place and route information.When we do floorplan , placement and routing the file wil be saved in DEF format
Hope it is clear for u

And LEF contains design rules which is given by the foundry and that is nothing but our library...
Like it contains rules for the metal layers and so on

Bye take care

hi, mujju433, if I want a hard-core of ARM processor, what will I need? LEF? or DEF? or both?

I guess LEF is enough for back-end integration, is it right?

If you are a front end person, this is the analogy -

LEF is the physical equivalent of library db (or adb if you use buildgates). DEF is the physical equivalent of design db (or adb if you use buildgates).

LEF contains only metal & pin info... The Place & Route tool will take LEF as input.

Hi archillios,
You are right if you have a lef file its enough.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back