Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

how Universal IC testers work?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lord Loh.

Full Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Universal IC Testers.

I was wondering how Universal IC testers work. While most ICs have a fixed position for VCC & ground, some ICs have different VCC & ground positions.

If a Vcc & ground are applied to wrong pins, then the IC shall see them as signals without applying Vcc & ground. Will this not damage the IC? How is the set done then?

In case of microcontrollers, some give out their signatures at +12v. While others have absolute maximum ratings of 5.5v. How do these device work then? And what if 3.3 v devices are to be tested with the same device?

And to add to all the trouble, devices have different pin counts.

I actually want to build a universal programmer. And the first step would be to detect the device in the socket.

Re: Universal IC Testers.

Hi, acording to me, VCC in universal IC tester is often connected with a resistor about 100 ohm, so if it connects wrong to pin of ICs that is not to damage device and additional time of test cycle is too short to damage devices.

ussually the tester have limitations such as what kind of IC(s) which can be tested, either by pin counts or the functions of the pin

i think it should be enough to make the 'universal' programmer that can burn the 'universal' ic. i mean the ic(s) that have the same pins for examples. note that almost TTL IC have fixed positition on vcc and gnd - whatever the products

tvthang said:
Hi, acording to me, VCC in universal IC tester is often connected with a resistor about 100 ohm, so if it connects wrong to pin of ICs that is not to damage device and additional time of test cycle is too short to damage devices.

So with a resistor in series with Vcc shall be okay if Vcc ends up at the wrong pins?

If I apply Vcc to pin 40 of an AVR assuming it to be an 8051, The AVR shall see a Logic 1 at port A.0 without a Vcc. Could this damage the AVR?

Status
Not open for further replies.