Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How to use a parameterized value for comparison in verilog

Status
Not open for further replies.

arunramnath

Junior Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello People.

I have a parameter to a module. I have used parameters for but widths and stuff usually. But I am in a different need now.

I am using a FSM which is based on a counter. I am trying to control one of the state changes based on the comparison between count and the value specified by the parameter. To be precise, I am trying to do somthing like this

module xyz #(parameter COUNT_STOP = 3) (....);
assign change_state = (count == COUNT_STOP);

I strongly feel we cannot use this as a synthesizable code. So, I want count to be compared to a constant, that depends on the corressponding instantiation. If so, Can someone help me in getting a way to do this ?

Thanks

module xyz #(parameter COUNT_STOP = 3) (....);
assign change_state = (count == COUNT_STOP);
Thanks

It works fine. I use this type of code all over the place. As the parameter is a constant at compile time the value of COUNT_STOP will be synthesizable. I also use it in generate statements to produce compile time variations of a design with more datapaths.

Code Verilog - [expand]
module abc #(parameter pNUM_CHAN=4) (...)
genrate genvar i
for (i=0;i<pNUM_CHAN;i=i+1) begin : GEN_XYZ
  assign xyz[i] = fgh[i];
end
end module

Thanks ads_ee.

In case of generate statement, I think the compiler creates instatantiates/creates logic as asked for. But the parameter pNUM_CHAN is not getting synthesized. Its the bus that is getting created right.

So, based on that, if the Parameter as I have asked for is synthesizable, what will the bitwidth taken for the comparator which checks for equality? With the synthesis tool automatically take it, for example a 2 bit bus for constant 3 ? An explanation on this will help me a lot.

Thanks
Arun

Verilog assumes parameters are 32-bit signed integers unless you supply a different data type or put a size on the value (parameter COUNT_STOP =2'd3 or parameter bit [0:1] COUNT_STOP = 3) .

In this case, it does not matter because the equality will pad count with constant 0's to match the size of COUNT_STOP. The synthesis tool will reduce the comparator to the size of count because padded bits are all being compared to constants.

Thanks Dave. So I can say the same applies to localparam too.

same would apply to localparam usage, but will be restricted to the module where the localparam is declared.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back