Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

HOW TO UPGRADE MATLAB.ISE,EDK,SYSGEN,CHIPSCOPE,etc

Status
Not open for further replies.

eltonjohn

Advanced Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Now i have to upgrade ONCE AGAIN to LATEST MATLAB, XILINX's ISE,SYSGEN,CHIPSCOPE,EDK and others .The TERRIBLE THING is what about if i don't like ir or some of these things are INCOMPATIBLE .
Every time i go through this is HARDSHIP. i can't keep the old versions .Some of these things ask you to remove previous installations .This is the case of MATLAB7 ..why can't i keep the old version .I assume because of path variables .
some of those things install automaticaly and i can't do a thing .
I end up every time loosing so much time to get every thing to work.
I think that i will buy another HDD and make a mirror copy of my system and then replace all the stuff . at least i will have a back up copy .This is 2005 the future already and these people are unable to deal with multiple path variables !!

Multiple paths is not the only issue. The second is registry. Many products don't include version to the product registry branch. The third is DLLs (different versions for different product versions) that are copied to Windows system folder. And the last thing is license files and license software.

But you can simplify your task with Microsoft Virtual PC or something similar. Just by switching between virtual machines with shared disk folder for projects.

eltonjohn

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
YES .. you are right i forgot mentionning DLL, registry JUNK! and license stuff .
SO i really means another machine Hein? even a virtual one .
I think that that's a good solution a VM MACHINE ..
yes i think i will go that way !

eltonjohn said:
This is the case of MATLAB7 ..why can't i keep the old version

Well, I don't know about the others but regarding ML you can have multiple versions. Just install it and you'll see that it won't ask you to uninstall previous versions.

On a related note, how do you uninstall Sysgen?

Git

Git : that's a good question !! .Every time i installed the supposed eval version it always runned well with no time limit ! .
I went VMWARE i'm just finishing to install MATLAB on a USB2 external hardrive running windows XP professional. i don't know how fast is all this going to be .
But the idea of having all my working enviroment on a plug and play VMware
virtual machine is kind of appealing .Now i can take my disk and plug it into another machine and even make Back up copies of all at once !

OK IT GOES LIKE THIS ..i spent the whole day "installing" all the soft under VMWARE .. it works great :" IF I DON'T DO SERIOUS WORK"
my laptop only has 512 Megs of RAM ..and it appears that is impossible to UPGRADE it . even being a very recent 2.4 Ghz machine .
Anyways
the machine without VMWARE loaded uses 200 Mbytes already.
if i boot xp professional under VMWARE i'm now using 480 Mbytes.
i haven't even loaded ISE .So i expectet this config to use disk swapping
very heavyly.
it appears to be a good approach if you have 1 giga of RAM at least .
most of the new soft now use JAVA a lot .

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back