Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How to understand rogowski coil current ratio?

Status
Not open for further replies.

udhay_cit

Full Member level 6
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I have a rogowski coil for 10Arms rating with 1:1500 turns ratio. I'm not familiar with rogowski coils. In Current transformers the specifications will be in primary current to secondary current ratio, but here the ratio is in terms of primary & secondary turns ratio.
1. How to calculate the current ratio from turns ratio?
2. Is it 10 Amps differ from 10Arms?

Please some one provide a good signal conditioning circuit for the rogowski coil current measurement. The datasheet is also attached.

Thanks in advance...:-|

Attachments

• CT1248.pdf
    49.9 KB · Views: 157

1:1500 is the turns ratio.10 Amps = 10A
See the equation
Np/Ns=Is/Ip

Ip =10 A(considered max)
Is = ?
Np =1 turn(cable through the hole)
Ns = 1500turns

Is=(Np/Ns)Ip
Is =0.0066A
Burden resistance 75E
Out put voltage when 10A flowing through primary is 0.0066A*75E= 0.5V

smijesh,
Thank you for the reply. Can you suggest me a signal conditioning circuit for rogowski coil current measurement? Here i have a LtSpice simulation circuit for my application. Any suggestion regarding the design?

Attachments

• Rogowski SC.PNG
    Rogowski SC.PNG
    45.9 KB · Views: 131
  • Draft1.7z
    812 bytes · Views: 77

smijesh,
Thank you for the reply. Can you suggest me a signal conditioning circuit for rogowski coil current measurement? Here i have a LtSpice simulation circuit for my application. Any suggestion regarding the design?

untitled.JPG
Why cant you try with LTC1966, It will give 4mVDC for 1A primary current.

CT1248 isn't a rogowski coil, it's a conventional current transformer. What are you asking about?

In case you are asking about rogowski coils, there's no current ratio. Rogowski coils have an output voltage according to the primary dI/dt, the sensitivity depends on the number of turns, coil length and area. See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rogowski_coil for a derivation.

Last edited:

CT1248 isn't a rogowski coil, it's a conventional current transformer. What are you asking about?

In case you are asking about rogowski coils, there's no current ratio. Rogowski coils have an output voltage according to the primary dI/dt, the sensitivity depends on the number of turns, coil length and area. See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rogowski_coil for a derivation.

Hi, thanks for the reply. Yes its a current transformer. I need to measure the current by using this CT1248. Based on Construction & look i feel both are same. But in operation both for separate applications...

Why cant you try with LTC1966, It will give 4mVDC for 1A primary current.
This chip is precisely for my application. But its too expensive. Now I'm looking for the ZXCT1041 current monitor IC for the purpose. Otherwise i should go with a cost effective OPAMP design?

Status
Not open for further replies.