Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How to sum up S11 return loss ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mauloftin

Full Member level 6
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi,
can you tell me, if I have first return loss S11A dB and somewhere next second return loss, S11B dB, what will be S11 in sum ? Yes, of course depends on phase, but if the phase between S11A and S11B will be 2*Pi, the S11 will be "maximum", can you tell me how i can do sum return loss ?

Thank

return loss, log

So lets say you have a long transmission line, with two discontinuities, one at x=a, and one at x=b. A unity travelling wave goes down the line and hits the discontinuity at x=a. Some of the wave bounces back (as described by S11a), and some of the wave continues on down the line. However, the remaining wave t travelling down the line is no longer unity in amplitude, since some of the initial wave has been reflected. You have 1=|s11a|²+t².

This new wave magnitude travels down the line some more and a x=b the remaining wave is reflected by S11b, so the reflected wave at x=b is S11b*t.

Now, the wave returns towards x=a, where it again is partially reflected back to b, and partially tansmitted to a. IF they are in-phase (distance between a and b is n*Π), then the final reflected signal is the sum of |s11a| +|s11b*t|*t. That is most of it, but there is still a little more from additional round trip travels of bounces.

Check my math, it is still early in the morning!

Of course, if the wave reflected at b returns to a in anything but exactly the same phase, you have to do vector math to figure out the answer.

These sort of problems get complicated in a hurry. One way to figure it out is to convert your S parameters into something called T matrixes--one for the discontiuity at a, one for the transmission line in between, and one for the discontinuity at b. You then multiply the 3 T matrixes together, and the composite reflection coefficient is obvious.

Rich

Last edited by a moderator:

log returns summation

Hi, thank you much.

Of course, all is true. OK

so I have return loss (RL). The formula is

RL = 20log(S11)

And sum RL will be 20*log(|s11a| +|s11b*t|*t) , OK ?

and now I have formula:

RL = 10 log(Pr/Pin) - Pin incident, Pr - reflected. It is true too ? So what will be sum RL in this case ?

for example, p = Pr/Pin, pA = 10^RL-A/10, and pB pB = 10^RL-B/10

and sum = RL = 10log(pA+ pB*t*t) OK ?

And note: RL= -20dB => t = 0.995, I think, that you can write t = 1 (Yes of course, it is not exactly, but approximately: S11 = S11A+ S11B, OK ?)

return loss formula s11 real

Actually, read this, it is probably clearer:
**broken link removed**

formula for return loss

btw - T matrixes is wonderfull, but there is another problem, may be later :) - It is in my topic "S parameter - Is it so hard ?"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back