Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How to start working on PowerPC

Status
Not open for further replies.

dariush

Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
PowerPC

Hi

I want to work on PowerPc ,How can I start it ?
Does it have its instruction set? or its programs can be written by C?

thanks
dariush

PowerPC

You can program in c, ada or whatever you want. It depends on your compiler.

Re: PowerPC

Hi
I want to know that C instructions for PPC is not diffirent from ordinary
C instructions ? if it is ,how can I learn more about them ?
thanks
dariush

OK! If I think your question really, I should say that C is a standard languege. So its instructions do not depend on machine you use.
I think you can use GCC compiler to compile your "standard" C code.

PowerPC

Power-up a modern Apple Mac computer. Now you are using a PowerPC!

C is designed to insulate your from the CPU instruction set, so it's not a good way to learn about PowerPC.

Mountains of PowerPC info here:
**broken link removed**
https://www.freescale.com/webapp/sps/site/homepage.jsp?nodeId=018rH3bTdG

What's this? Motorola semiconductors is now Freescale? Oh good grief!

Check out the Xilinx Virtex-II Pro, it has an FPGA with integrated PowerPC processor. The Embedded Development Kit from Xilinx contains all you need to program, in a very point-and-click fashion.

Actually this is not a very relevant forum for your question. Anyway i'll try to contribute what i know.

PowerPC is a CPU structure joint developed by apple, IBM and motorola.
Like echo47 said, an Apple MAC is powered by powerpc. For embedded system, IBM and motorola(powerquicc, powerquiccII) are widely used in communication industry. To start you can get a eval board and play with it(There are plenty of them in the market). The most popular free compiler is gcc. Normally the vendor of eval board will give u all these cross tools.

The instruction set for PowerPC is free from IBM/Motorola web site. C programming has nothing to with that. Your compiler will take care the translation.

regards

I read EDK document,I need some more examples about Xilkernel.
who can give me some refrences ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back