Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

how to start to design a voltage regulator?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JackyH

Newbie level 6
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi,

I want to design a voltage regulator which is used after the rectifier to filter out the spikes of the supply voltage generated by the rectifier. The voltage drop of the output voltage compared with the input voltage of this voltage regulator should be as small as possible.

I am wondering how can I start to design such a voltage regulator, or could someone give me some reference paper?

thanks!

If you study the data sheets of several LDO voltage regulators, quite a few of them include a circuit diagram of the inner workings of the IC. No component values, but maybe you could use one of these as the basis of your design?

JackyH

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Hi,

I suggest you to use the LM78LXX regulator series. They're realy easy to use and only needs 2 capacitor. Here's the aplication circuit.

35_1195676223.jpg

But, they must have a voltaje difference of 2v between the input voltaje and the output (PE if you want to obtain 5v, you must put 7v in the input). The other disadvantage is that they're disipative regulators, and they're not efficient.

If you want something more efficient, you should use DC-DC converters, as the MC34063A. They're more efficient and have others functions, but they need more external components and the external circuit it's not so simple. But you can step-up, step-down or invert the voltaje.

Here are both datasheet.

I hope that it helps you.

Excuse my English.

JackyH

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back