Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

how to roundoff to 8 bits in verilog

Status
Not open for further replies.

vny

Newbie level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
hello,
am doing my project in iverilog . i have reached a particular stage where i get a 17 bit out put from a 8 bit input(after multiplying and sign adjustments stages). now i want to revert back my 17 bit input to the first stage input register which is actually 8 bit. how can i round off 17 bit to 8 bits . there are some negative numbers also which is represented in 2's complement form.

please help as i am stuck with this and not able to proceed further

There's a number of rounding algorithms out there (google will help).

The easiest is just to add new_lsb-1 before truncating. Simple and effective, but it will have a bias.

Reactions: vny

vny

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Hi,

There are many ways to approach this type of problem..You can try these things...

one way is that You can use the both input and output bits as 17, by appending zeros to the input so both the input and output bits are same in number.

Another way is that your inputs are 8 bits, so you can selects the bits which are used to be the next 8 bit input out of these 17 bits output, so you can selects the msb 8 bits, or lsb 8 bits or any 8 bits from the 17 bits output ...

Reactions: vny

vny

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
sorry for the delay and thanks alot for the replies . i actually made all the bits as 17 bits and did the calculations as i need minimum 16 bits to represent my final result .initially i checked the 13th bit and then adjusted the remianig bit as we used to do it in manual way . but in the long run it wont support because of the numbers i give for multiplication. the precision could not be conained in 13 bits. hence i changed it to 17.

thanks alot for the help
vini

Last edited:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back