Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How to relate the time constants, opamp bandwidth and settling time?

Status
Not open for further replies.

AMSA84

Advanced Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello guys,

Is someone here that could explain me how to relate the parameters mentioned in the topic, when designing an opamp? For example, design the opamp to have a very small error in the settling time and relate that to how many time constants are needed for that small error, say 0.01%? I think it is related to the opamp bandwidth as well.

Regards.

Hi,

how many time constants are needed for that small error, say 0.01%?
9 time constants:

0.01% = 0.0001 = 1 x 10^-4

(1/e)^9 = 0.000123 = 0.0123% = about 0.01%

e = 2.7183
1/e = 0.3679

0.3679 ^9 = 0.000123

how to come to 9?
log(0.0001) / log(1/e) = 9.2 --> 9.2 time constants (info: log base 10)
= -ln(0.0001) = 9.21 (info: ln = log base e)

Klaus

Thanks for your response.

Klaus, those calculations are assuming that the opamp has a dominant pole? At the end of the day is a simple 1st order system right? So you're assuming the first ordem system equation 1/(Ts+1) where the inverse Laplace when applied a step unity is simply y(t)=1-e^-(t/T)?

If so, where and why are you getting the 1/e? what you mean is 1-e^-(t/T) = 1 - (1/e^(t/T)) ? What about the voltage, you don't care? Have you normalized it? The expression if y(t) = V (1-e^-(t/T)). What did you do to the V?

Finally, why are you diving both logs? How do you get there?

Regards.

- - - Updated - - -

By the way Klaus, both calculations in my calculator gives 9.21.

Last edited:

Hi,

You speak of time constant.
I assumed you meant tau, like R x C.., a low pass filter first order
Did you talk of any other?

If tau, then after one time constant the error is 1/e = 1/2.7 = 0.37
After two time constants the error is 0.37 ^ 2
After three time constants 0.37 ^ 3
And so on

With a time constant the error is independent of the absolute step size..

With a real opamp there are for sure other influences. Like limited dV/dt. Or riniging at the border of stability...

Klaus

Thanks for you comment KlausST.

Well, I spoke about the time constants but I was wondering if you can relate that to the opamp BW because the opamp BW can influence the settling time of your opamp. So I was wondering if there is any way to link both, the BW and the time constants. Basicaly how many time constants do I need to get a certain amount of error for a certain BW, that is if I apply a square wave at the input of the opamp in unity gain mode, I would like the opamp to settle in half period, right, before the input changes again.

I imagine if we apply a certain square wave at the input with certain characteristics and if we vary the bandwidth of the amplifier I am sure we would see some differences in the settling time and error no?

Regards.

Hi,

Basicaly how many time constants do I need to get a certain amount of error for a certain BW, that is if I apply a square wave at the input of the opamp in unity gain mode, I would like the opamp to settle in half period, right, before the input changes again.

I already answered this if it a first order bandwidth limitation.
If it is a higher order I can't answer this. I doubt somewhere else can...but maybe. The problem is that higher order filters have a "q" factor, but it is unknown here. The "q" factor influences settling time.

Klaus

Status
Not open for further replies.