Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

how to reduce VCO frequency variation over tempareture?

Status
Not open for further replies.

lijulia

Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
for eg. TI part can get as low as 10MHz from -40 to 110 degree, we only can achieve 50 - 40 MHz which is about 1v Vtune change.

One common way of doing it in a LC resonant circuit is to pick the C part to have a negative tempco val equal to the positive tempco val of the L to try and cancel total temp drift.

so, it really depends on the process, right?

I guess, you're not talking of a LC oscillator VCO? Would be easier to discuss when knowing the particular part.

I am talking about LC VCO, but c & L temp variation coefficient is really depend on the each process, right? also, the value of c & L will affect other performance (PN & tuning range) , right?

Hello,

for wide temperature range, as you have, you must basically try to use low TC devices. For inductance, only air coil is appropriate, no ferrite. Then a residual TC from VCO circuit could be hopefully compensated in part. But I doubt, if compensation will work for wide range. Most non-zero TC capacitors are specified for -20..+85 at maximum.

Regards,
Frank

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back