Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

how to reduce the size of a design during synthesis

Status
Not open for further replies.

rashmidesai

Newbie level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
hi all,
I am into static timing analysis department and i am new to this field. i have to reduce the size of the design.. the instance count in my design is some roughly 50000 n say suppose i have to reduce it to around 30k or so whats the procedure to do it

First you need to synthesize without any timing constraint, to see what is the smallest area you could have with your design. After by adding constraints you will add more buffer to fix timing.
If you did not reach the area, you need to change your rtl.

by commenting some inputs and outputs reduce the cell count in the module?

by commenting some inputs and outputs reduce the cell count in the module?

Yes indeed. Synthesis is similar to trying to lose a few kilos of weight. :lol:
The easiest is as you said, cut off an arm and a leg from the fat person, it can reduce 50Kg to 30Kg in minutes.. :twisted:
Next logical way is to ask your boss to give you a training in synthesis. ;-)
Third is tough and may not work. Use compile with map effort high, and optimize for area. But I doubt that would cut 20Kg out of 50.. :|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back