Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How to properly bias this class-AB output stage?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jordan76

Full Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi

I am at a loss how to properly bias this class-AB output stage.
How should the proper size of M202(M2021),M203(M2031),M113/M115,M110, M112 and M219 be determined? How about VA and VB?

Your help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

regards,
jordan76

Hi guys,

The above circuit is intercepted from a IEEE paper named Compact Low-Voltage Power-Efficient Operational Amplifier Cells for VLSI by Klaas-Jan de Langen and Johan H. Huijsing,
IEEE JOURNAL OF SOLID-STATE CIRCUITS, VOL. 33, NO. 10, OCTOBER 1998.

My main question is how the dc bias voltage VA and VB should be determined.
In my opinion VA and VB should be floating unless some kind of negative dc feedback is applied, but I didn't find it in this paper. How do you think about it?

thanks!

regards,
jordan76

You haven't read the paper thoroughly enough: VA and VB voltage are controled nicely through feedback loop by measuring the output static current. In other words, VA and VB is set in such a way that the desired output static current can be obtained, through feedback loops.

Hi willyboy19,

Thanks for your reply!

VA-VB=VDD-VTN-|VTP|-Vdsatp-Vdsatn
Iq=2*Iref (assume M110/M100 and M111/M101 are equal in size)

Please correct me if I am wrong.

regards,
jordan76

Hi Jordan76, your understanding is correct. Congratulations!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back