Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

how to program 3.3v pics by icsp

Status
Not open for further replies.

adnan_merter

Full Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
hi,
so far i have been working on 5v pics like 18f2550,2520 or 4550, but now i have to use a 3.3v low power pic. i decided to use pic18f26k20, it's pin diagram is same as pic18f2520 so i dont have to change my circuit design.

but there is one problem, so far i uploaded a basic bootloader to my 5v pics by brenner8 programmer and i updated the firmware by using pics uart connection. now how can i upload my bootloader to my 18f26k20. brenner8 supplies 13 volt to vpp and 5 volt to vdd, i already did some research and some guys say 18f26k20 has voltage tolerance for vpp and vdd but i am not sure, the datasheet says vpp voltage must not exceed 9 volt and vdd must be 3.3volt maximum,

so this pic is really tolerant to normal programming voltages or it burns up?

According to the PIC-Brenner8 Website, a 3.3v adapter along with firmware updates are required to properly program the PIC16LF7xx, PIC16LF1xxx, PIC18FxxKxx and PIC18LFxxKxx series of PICs.

You might also consider purchasing a high quality PICkit clone if you intend on utilizing lower voltage PICs in future projects.

I have seen PICkit clones which support the PIC18FxxKxx series as well as most of the other PIC series at quite inexpensive prices.

BigDog

I have seen PICkit clones which support the PIC18FxxKxx series as well as most of the other PIC series at quite inexpensive prices.

hi, i never used hi-tech, or c18 compilers i am familiar with the ccs c compiler and it doesn't support pickit3, can i use it with my codes compiled by ccs c compiler?

If using MPLAB with xc8 compiler, then for 3.3or lesser volt while using PICkit 3/ICD or higher programmer, go to right click on project-> properties -> on the left click on "ICD3" <if using ICD or PICkit 3> -> on right side in Options categories select "Program Options" -> there chek the checkbox "Enable Low Voltage Programming" and then Apply and OK.

But Im not sure if u will be able to debug or not but programming is done flawlessly if using 3.3 or lesser power supply.

If using MPLAB with xc8 compiler, then for 3.3or lesser volt while using PICkit 3/ICD or higher programmer, go to right click on project-> properties -> on the left click on "ICD3" <if using ICD or PICkit 3> -> on right side in Options categories select "Program Options" -> there chek the checkbox "Enable Low Voltage Programming" and then Apply and OK.

But Im not sure if u will be able to debug or not but programming is done flawlessly if using 3.3 or lesser power supply.

thanks for your reply, but the problem is i don't have any icd or pickit programmer, so far i have been using brenner 8 with my 5 volt pics. brenner8 doesn't support 3.3 volt pics and i am looking for a solution, either do some modification to my brenner or buy a new pickit programmer.

bigdogguru says "buy a pickit3 clone" but pickit programmers are not supported by my ccs c compiler and i never used mplab before, is there any way to use pickit programmer with my ccs compiler?

Actually, I suggested considering the purchase of a high quality PICkit clone, not necessarily a PICkit 3.

You might also consider purchasing a high quality PICkit clone if you intend on utilizing lower voltage PICs in future projects.

You might even consider purchasing a genuine PICkit 2, I occasionally see a few used PICkit 2s listed on eBay.

Does the CCS Compiler/IDE support the ICD 2?

If you a comfortable with the CCS Compiler and it continues to support the newer series of PICs, I do not see any reasons for changing compilers/IDEs.

Although, I believe you can run the CCS Compiler in Microchip MPLAB IDE which would allow you to use either the PICkit2/3 or ICD2/3 for either programming or debugging.

BigDog

Although, I believe you can run the CCS Compiler in Microchip MPLAB IDE which would allow you to use either the PICkit2/3 or ICD2/3 for either programming or debugging.
BigDog

when i try to use ccs compiler in mplab ide, it switches automatically ccs compiler program at compile phase, i couldn't see a way to use ccs in MPLAB is there any?

Status
Not open for further replies.