Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How to measure the mass of an object in space

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tinamuline

Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
how to determine mass of object in space?

I am wondering how we can measure the mass of an object in space. As we all know, everything in space is weightless, then how can we measure the mass of an object in the spacecraft by using balance? Thanks for your help.

stiffness

My understanding about this issue is that it depends on the sizes of the objects you are interested in. For stars and planets, you measure the masses by investigating the relationships between those monsters. For small objects, I think you essentially use Newton's three laws of motion. For example, f=ma. In the space, you slap on an object, and then you check the velocity to come up with the acceleration a. Another exmaple is the free vibration, mx"+kx=0. Suppose you know the frequency w and the spring stiffness k, then w^2=k/m.

how we measure mass in space?

another way is use a stick or ruler... stick one end to the static object(space ship) another end to the object(u wanna measure the mass) and make it oscillate.. it will go forth n back... count the frequency... it is constant (almost independent of gravity)..

then compare it to the frequency u hav when u do it on earth wth different mass... n u can predict the object mass in space...

i learn tht in high school time...

regards,
sp

how to measure the mass of an object in the space

Just kick the object by another object ( let say hummer )) ) with known weight at known speed and mesure speed of the object after it kicked . Assuming ideal energy transfer

m1v1^2 = m2v2^2

))

Tinamuline,
Apply a constant force (f) to the object. Measure the distance (d) that the object travels in a specified time interval (t).
~
Let a = the acceleration of the object.
~
d = at^2/2
a = 2d/(t^2)
Now that you know the acceleration (a), you can calculate mass:
f = ma
m = f/a
~
Regards,
Kral

Status