Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

how to learn rf ic design

Status
Not open for further replies.
razavi has a good book on rf design. lots of courses use this book so you can probably search for lectures online

You can search for RFIC lecture from reputable university online like from UCal Berkeley, UCal San Diego, etc. I have posted some of the lectures earlier. You can search for them here too before go to Google.

riz_aj i searched all your posts, can you direct me to these lectures you uploaded ?

thanks !

I also don't find the book of razavi and Lee. who can help me

I think it is appropriate for you to research carefully.
and then design your need circuits based on the typical design application.

nxing said:
v_naren said:
The absolute fundamental for RFIC is only analog circuit methods.

Since in RFIC there is nothing like distributed effect...you dont use transmision lines or microstrips or something like smith charts to design your ciruits....so there is nothing magically different from analog ic design since the size is basically small enough to use good old lumped element techniques...anyway I think

1) The design of CMOS RFICs by Thomas H. Lee from SMIRC

2) RF Microelectronics by Behzad Razavi are quite stupid..oops...simple enough for an analog ic design expert to start designing the so called totally different LNAs and mixers!!!

on the other hand...if you want to truly learn the beautifully diofferent design methods and tricks and techniques and want to drown yourself in smith chart based methods then you should definitely read

1) Microwave transistor amplifiers by Gonzalez

2) Microwave engg by David M. Pozar

3) The recent two volumes on microwave circuit design by Les Besser

these 4 books are very very good to learn "REAL RF/MW" design methods which the discrete RF/MW and integrated MW(NOT RFIC) designers still use!!!

:eek:

happy learning

Hi v_naren,

Would you please kindly specify the links of the last two books you mentioned above?

Thanks

here they are

1) pozar

2) les besser vol.1 and vol. 2 are here

3) RF Microelectronics by Behzad Razvi is also there at

These 3 books along with the one by Dr. Thomas Lee are the starting point for a beginer into "RFIC" and RF too.
happy learning
:)

v_naren said:

Since in RFIC there is nothing like distributed effect...you dont use transmision lines or microstrips or something like smith charts to design your ciruits....so there is nothing magically different from analog ic design since the size is basically small enough to use good old lumped element techniques...anyway I think

2) RF Microelectronics by Behzad Razavi are quite stupid..oops...simple enough for an analog ic design expert to start designing the so called totally different LNAs and mixers!!!

on the other hand...if you want to truly learn the beautifully diofferent design methods and tricks and techniques and want to drown yourself in smith chart based methods then you should definitely read

these 4 books are very very good to learn "REAL RF/MW" design methods which the discrete RF/MW and integrated MW(NOT RFIC) designers still use!!!

happy learning

thanks a lot!

I am studying on the books you recommended.
but quite slow, little progress.
should i study the books as well as making designs at the same time?
where to begin?

yuezi said:
v_naren said:

happy learning

thanks a lot!

I am studying on the books you recommended.
but quite slow, little progress.
should i study the books as well as making designs at the same time?
where to begin?

In my personal opinion, I feel that the normal way is the best way.....read your basics and then solve the problems in the back of every chapter and all and then if you cannot afford to construct an RF LNA using the superb theoretical techniques then atleast u can use a simulator to virtually construct your design to get a partial satisfaction that you have really constructed an LNA which is working at a blazingly high frequency of 5GHz or something :).....the softwares such as ADS and cadence or MW office or APLAC help u in varying extents for the same also....so read ur basics and dont play with your simulator....dont play games in design.....read and design on paper and then simulate to check if your ideas or check how well ur theoretical design produces the expected results via the simulation...

I banifit from the above comments greatly.
thanks!!!

i need the books ,but i can not find them
and when i install cadence ic 5141 into the rh9.0 platform ,iget many problems!
who can give me some hint

I am a analog IC designer&I want to be a RF IC designer too.

In my personal opinion, I feel that the normal way is the best way.....read your basics and then solve the problems in the back of every chapter and all and then if you cannot afford to construct an RF LNA using the superb theoretical techniques then atleast u can use a simulator to virtually construct your design to get a partial satisfaction that you have really constructed an LNA which is working at a blazingly high frequency of 5GHz or something :).....the softwares such as @DS and cadence or MW office or APLAC help u in varying extents for the same also....so read ur basics and dont play with your simulator....dont play games in design.....read and design on paper and then simulate to check if your ideas or check how well ur theoretical design produces the expected results via the simulation...

Start the simulation is quiet easy, but how about the models used with simulation.

RF Design is hot, and inmature, so how can i get the models.[/quote]

nothing will be more effective than design a circuit by yourself. you can learn more from practice.

Please read Microwave Transistor Amplifiers Analysis and Design by G. Gonzalez.

Microwave Transistor Amplifiers Analysis and Design by G.Gonzalez,that's very good!

ArchAngel said:
In my personal opinion, I feel that the normal way is the best way.....read your basics and then solve the problems in the back of every chapter and all and then if you cannot afford to construct an RF LNA using the superb theoretical techniques then atleast u can use a simulator to virtually construct your design to get a partial satisfaction that you have really constructed an LNA which is working at a blazingly high frequency of 5GHz or something :).....the softwares such as @DS and cadence or MW office or APLAC help u in varying extents for the same also....so read ur basics and dont play with your simulator....dont play games in design.....read and design on paper and then simulate to check if your ideas or check how well ur theoretical design produces the expected results via the simulation...

Start the simulation is quiet easy, but how about the models used with simulation.

RF Design is hot, and inmature, so how can i get the models.
[/quote]

You can get CMOS models to start practising with from here
**broken link removed**

I suggest to read this book:
RF circuit design by: Behzad Razavi

Is there any paper about LNA of pre-amplify of RF?

The Design of Analog CMOS Integrated Circuits by Razavi and Microwave Engineering by Pozar should be a good start for people like me interesting in RF design.

is Razavi's book useful?

Added after 3 minutes:

to FZC80, it is not a good choice to install IC5 under RH9, your best choice is RH7.2 or RH7.3, I have a paper to guide you install it under RH9, but it is writen in chinese.

Status
Not open for further replies.