Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How to learn industry standard tools for Physical Design?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mr_monster

Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I used to work for a large tech company in a Physical Design group. In reality the group did only layout work using propriety tools developed internally (I even contributed to their development at some point). We never ran synthesis, STA was done using external tools that were wrapped in the company's scripts and the same goes for other verification flows. This led to a situation where I am familiar with the process of ASIC design, but can not look for any senior position as proficiency in industry standard-tools is a requirement.

What would be a reasonable way to learn how to use these tools online? I imagine that some form of solution would be to work remotely thru VNC on a machine that has these tools installed and perform various tasks like that. I'm totally willing to pay for this knowledge and have no problem learning online.

Any suggestions would be highly appreciated.

I used to work for a large tech company in a Physical Design group. In reality the group did only layout work using propriety tools developed internally (I even contributed to their development at some point). We never ran synthesis, STA was done using external tools that were wrapped in the company's scripts and the same goes for other verification flows. This led to a situation where I am familiar with the process of ASIC design, but can not look for any senior position as proficiency in industry standard-tools is a requirement.

What would be a reasonable way to learn how to use these tools online? I imagine that some form of solution would be to work remotely thru VNC on a machine that has these tools installed and perform various tasks like that. I'm totally willing to pay for this knowledge and have no problem learning online.

Any suggestions would be highly appreciated.
I read that the ARM company would allow people to use their tools for free. I don't know how this would be done and I have not tried to use ARM licensed tools. I also want to use ARM's tool set. If anyone knows how this is done, I would like to know as well.

I read that the ARM company would allow people to use their tools for free. I don't know how this would be done and I have not tried to use ARM licensed tools. I also want to use ARM's tool set. If anyone knows how this is done, I would like to know as well.
I checked what ARM was offering to help startup companies. Some money, marketing, free IP. I do not see free use of the industry standard tools. Synopsys or Cadence or Mentor tools. Sorry no luck with ARM.

You might be able to contact Synopsys and they should be able to give you help to learn their tools.

Last edited:

This led to a situation where I am familiar with the process of ASIC design, but can not look for any senior position as proficiency in industry standard-tools is a requirement.

Never take HR's word for anything, but especially technical
"requirements".

You really think that if you came from a Mentor (Siemens)
workplace, that a Cadence shop wouldn't assume you know the
general flow and allow you an "on-ramp"? If no, what's the
difference between a proprietary tool chain, and Brand X, Brand Y
commercial tools in this regard?

You're of course best off bypassing HR entirely but that would
require more of you, than simply applying to open postings.
You'd need connections made and customers satisfied, what
you -did- with those tools (popular or not) and get that story
to whoever's the actual hiring manager. Which is exactly what
HR seeks to prevent.

You could bury keywords in minuscule type font, in your resume
while not claiming proficiency; this could get you past the robo
scan, to the next stage of review where hopefully you "sell it"
based on what you have done and can do, rather than a selfie
of your tool collection. Because anyone can by tools with
money, yet many engineers provided those tools end up selling
real estate.

Never take HR's word for anything, but especially technical
"requirements".

You really think that if you came from a Mentor (Siemens)
workplace, that a Cadence shop wouldn't assume you know the
general flow and allow you an "on-ramp"? If no, what's the
difference between a proprietary tool chain, and Brand X, Brand Y
commercial tools in this regard?

You're of course best off bypassing HR entirely but that would
require more of you, than simply applying to open postings.
You'd need connections made and customers satisfied, what
you -did- with those tools (popular or not) and get that story
to whoever's the actual hiring manager. Which is exactly what
HR seeks to prevent.

You could bury keywords in minuscule type font, in your resume
while not claiming proficiency; this could get you past the robo
scan, to the next stage of review where hopefully you "sell it"
based on what you have done and can do, rather than a selfie
of your tool collection. Because anyone can by tools with
money, yet many engineers provided those tools end up selling
real estate.
You are not mistaking... I am old enough at this point to have enough experience to know how these things work. So here is my problem; I get approached 3 or 4 times a week by recruiters from large companies. All of them start with the same "We noticed your experience and so on..." at some point they will ask if I'm familiar with ICC2 or whatever and I say that I am not, but I have lots of experience and would probably ramp up pretty quickly because software is just a tool and not the essence. I've managed to get 1 interview with a hiring manager which went great and the position was cancelled a day after I've spoken with him, but never mind. Large tech companies such as Intel, Nvidia, Apple, Meta (which all approached me at this point) almost never have the actual manage doing scouting. Even if he goes as far as reviewing someone's Linkedin profile, the process would start by a chat with a recruiter that would ask specifically regarding various tools and someone who has 2 or 3 years experience using them will be higher on the list. I'm looking for some kind of course I can take online and use the software via remote access someone to do actual practice and gain enough knowledge that I can say I'm familiar with the tools.

What would be a reasonable way to learn how to use these tools online?
For ASIC tools, it is very difficult, whether you are a synthesis guy, or DFT guy or PD guy! Forget about personaly buying a license for such tools, they are too expensive.
However you can try if some PD tools have trial licenses.

As I see for your case, the only way to get access to such tools, is to join as a research associate at some university and get access to Cadence/Synopsys PD tools.

Oh another point, do not apply through recruiters if possible. Because in my opinion, such people are brain-washed to apply specific filters for the candidates they are looking for. Apply directly for a position or even send out unsolicited applications. You MUST include a Cover Letter with your Resume in which you mention very briefly about this situation of yours. May be it can get the attention of the hiring manager.

All the best!

As I see for your case, the only way to get access to such tools, is to join as a research associate at some university and get access to Cadence/Synopsys PD tools.
This.

And another point about recruiters: if they ask if you know ICC or Innovus, you say yes without bating an eye. This is just to get you through the interview round, then you can explain to a peer ()a fellow engineer) that you can indeed map your knowledge from tool X to tool Y.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back