Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How to improve 6v sla battery charger?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SR19

Junior Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi all,

I need to power up a 5V 3A load with the 6V battery whenever mains(9V adaptor) fails.I have designed this charger circuit with the help of sample schematics available on internet. I have no confidence that this circuit will work or not as i dont knw how to calculate the exact resistor values, so roughly i put 10k.

Battery : TRONTEK 6V 4.5Ah
Charging current : 1.35 Max.-- I kept 0.5A (10% of battery capacity)
Charging voltage : 7.25V to 7.45V

I need your suggestions to improve this design.

Thank you

Attachments

• 6V SLA BATTERY CHARGER.pdf
    78.9 KB · Views: 125

Re: 6v sla battery charger

That seems far more complicated that necessary. For your application a simple TO220 LM1117 (Adjustable) will probably work fine.
Add a small current limit circuit to limit the current to 500mA.
Cheers
Neddie
P.S You should probably put protection diode across the regulator. Cathode at input , anode at output.

Attachments

• batt charger.jpg
    batt charger.jpg
    65.6 KB · Views: 131
Last edited:

@neddie
Does your circuit keep on charging the battery even after get fully charged?

Last edited:

Yes , but if you set the voltage to the float voltage of the battery (about 6.9V) , it's no problem.
The battery will stop drawing current when it charged and it's terminal voltages equal that of the charger.
It will keep the battery charged and won't over charge the battery.

Hi ,
Thanks for your reply. i have modified my circuit as per your suggestions..Pls go thro' the attached schematic..& tell me your suggestions.

Thank you.

Attachments

• modified ckt.pdf
    77.6 KB · Views: 114

Still think it's way to complicated. Do you need LED indication of MAINS/BATTERY?
No need to switch the circuit via a relay. Just connect it directly to the battery.
While power is present the circuit will run off the charger and when mains fails the battery will take over.
Only caveat of this solution is if the battery is flat and the charger can't supply enough to run the circuit AND
charge the battery FAST ENOUGH.

Reactions: SR19

SR19

Helpful Answer Positive Rating

Thanks for your reply. yes , i need to know whether the load is powered by mains or battery.what is the problem with using relay? Shall i use p mosfet ?
i don't want to use the battery power always..is there any other option?

Thank you!

You won't be using the battery always , the charger will deliver the current when needed.
If you need led indication , then you can use the LED circuits as you have them , but you don't need the 5V regulator , unless it is powering something not shown. Just connect the +5v , going to the mains monitoring led to the input of the 1117.

Does battery takes much time to get fully charged with float voltage?
As you said, charger can provide supply to battery only, not to the load when the battery is down.so that the load is not powered until battery get charged?
if so , how can i overcome this problem?

It all depends on you charger capacity.If it can supply enough current to charge the battery and run you circuit , not problem.
In all likelihood it won't be a problem at all.

Hi neddie,

Thanks for your help.

Status
Not open for further replies.