Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How to get ortognol vectors from a vector?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bee

Full Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
can anyone plz tell me how to caluculate the orthognoal vectors like U2 and U3 from vector U1 such that these three are orthognol to each other?

Waiting....

One method to get orthogonal vectors and then orthonormal vectors from a vector is to use Gram-schmidt process. For complete process of Gram-Schmidt see "Linear Algebra and Its Applications" by Gilbert Strang.

Arif Khan

let U1=a i+b j + c k
where a , b , c are known
to get a vector U2 orthognal to it
then let U2=x i+ y j+z k
where (x+a)+(y+b)+(c+z)=0
this is one equation in three variable whch means infinite solutions which is true

Also to check your work the 3 vercors U1, U2, U3 must be orthogonal to each other, thus the inner product of the vectros must be 0

<u1,u2> = <u1,u3> = <u2,u3> = 0

If the above holds (which it should if your algebra is correct) you will have 3 vectors ortogonal to each other.

Cheers
Slayer

The simplest method is to start with any vector V which is not collinear with U1 and define (using the vector product "x"):

U2 = U1 x V
U3 = U1 x U2

Mate

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back