Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How to generate an accurate current on chip?

Status
Not open for further replies.

purplestar

Newbie level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Does anybody know about this? I don't need a very accurate current, maybe ±5% is OK.
Thanks !

Hi,
All IC/ASIC Design textbooks are writing over several and concrete solutions...
Take & read min. Tieze & Schenk from "old world of discretes & ICs" :)
K.

you can get accurate current by using using the voltage drived from bandgap voltage over an external resistor, you could find it in Allen's book, too

Hi, prcken
I don't want to use the external resistor, pins are expensive for me. I want a total on chip solution. thanks!

Added after 2 minutes:

Hi, karesz
I will read that book ,thanks

Two ways.
1. Use an external resistor. Vbg/Rext
2. Use trimming with Vbg/Rint. Even so, you will still suffer from tempco of the on0chip resistor.

Hi, checkmate
No third way.....

Added after 59 seconds:

kwkam said:
It depends on how accurate of your on chip device.
±5% is enough

i dont think you can do that with internal resistors, variation of internal resistors would be more than 30%!
maybe you could only use trimming, maybe you could switched capacitors to realize the resistor, refer to fig 11.22 of Razavi's design of analog CMOS IC book.

prcken said:
i dont think you can do that with internal resistors, variation of internal resistors would be more than 30%!
maybe you could only use trimming, maybe you could switched capacitors to realize the resistor, refer to fig 11.22 of Razavi's design of analog CMOS IC book.

I also don't have reference clock....

Hey,
an oscillator to make isnt a problem nowadays_even, as onchip type too...
K.

karesz said:
Hey,
an oscillator to make isnt a problem nowadays_even, as onchip type too...
K.

the problem is how to make an oscillator with accurate frequency, still i need an accurate current...

Hi,
Is it not possible for you to use an external clk pls?
Otherwise the semiconductor vendors have on chip solution, I think we can begin at PICs...
Newest "resonator technique" is with MEMs really semiconductor production compatible. :)
Btw; I dont no if you need it as integrated circuit/ASIC or "only" as a circuit...
K.

If 5% is acceptable but no extra pin is allowed, trimming the internal resistor seems the best way.
The drift after trimming should be typically < 5%

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back