Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How to find the subthreshold of the process that you are using?

Status
Not open for further replies.

winfangwill

Newbie level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Dera all,

I am designing a ultra-low power bandgap. I need to know the subthreshold slope parameter for my process. I am using the topology presented in this paper "A Sub-1-V, 10 ppm/degrees, Nanopower Voltage Reference Generator", Guiseppe De Vita, 2007 JSSC.

In this paper, the subthreshold slope parameter is denoted as 'm'. However, I can't find anything similar to in PDK model parameters. Also, the PDK I'm using is 130nm Globalfoundries Generic/RF process.

Any help is appreciated,

Thank you very much,

winfangwill

Subthreshold slope (from a model) is an outcome, not
an input. It tends to follow NSS (number of surface
states) in older models, I do notknow what in BSMIx.y
takes the place of that (but I'm sure the Fine Manual
would tell you).

All you need to do is set up a measurment simulation
with Vdd=Vds(max)-VT, Vgg=0 (gnd!), and apply two
different gate voltages (both of them lower than VT),
pick off the current for each, and the subSlope (mV/dec)
is (Vgs2-Vgs1)/(log10(Ids2)-log10(Ids1)).

Now, subthreshold slope is very dependent on details
of processing (interface qualities) and yet seldom is
a WAT acceptance parameter or even a measured
quantity. But it doesn't hurt to dig into a WAT report
and data set one time, to see what you may have
been provided.

Don't know if this is helpful, because it's from a 180nm process: View attachment Tradeoffs_and_optimization_in_analog_cmos_design_by_David_Binkley_p49.pdf

The substrate factor n for subthreshold operation (in weak to deep weak inversion region) should lie between 1.35 and 1.3 .

Your subthreshold slope parameter is m = ln 10 * n * UT ≈ 2.3*1.35*25.9 ≈ 80 mV/decade at room temperature. That's about the result which the measurement simulation suggested by dick_freebird should show.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back