Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How to find out if this signal is FM ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SherlockBenedict

Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I want to know if this signal is AM or FM or any other kind of that?

Here's the signal

cosωct + 0.5 cos ωmt sinωct

Note that: ωc is the carrier frequency and ωm is the message/modulating frequency
Please see this carefully and tell me if the signal is AM or FM. The book says that it is FM but I don't get that.

Thanks in advance

Think in a phasorial picture.
In-phase component (I) is the function that multiplies cos(ωct) i.e. 1 .
Quadrature component (Q) is the function that multiplies sin(ωct) i.e. 0.5*cos(ωmt).
The resultant phasor has almost constant amplitude and a phase that is practically 0.5*cos(ωmt) radians .
It is a PM signal whose modulating signal is cos(ωmt) and peak phase deviation 0-5 rad .
Alternatively, it can be a FM signal whose modulating signal is sin(ωmt) .
Regards

Z

Think in a phasorial picture.
In-phase component (I) is the function that multiplies cos(ωct) i.e. 1 .
Quadrature component (Q) is the function that multiplies sin(ωct) i.e. 0.5*cos(ωmt).
The resultant phasor has almost constant amplitude and a phase that is practically 0.5*cos(ωmt) radians .
It is a PM signal whose modulating signal is cos(ωmt) and peak phase deviation 0-5 rad .
Alternatively, it can be a FM signal whose modulating signal is sin(ωmt) .
Regards

Z

I can understand now but I don't get the peak phase deviation. I understand that the minimum phase shift is 0 rad. But the maximum seems to for me-

Maximum value of quadrature is 0.5
Value of inphase is 1

So the phase should be

tan-1(0.5/1)= 0.46 radians

How did you get 5 radians?

Thanks a lot

Maximum value of quadrature is 0.5
Value of inphase is 1

So the phase should be

tan-1(0.5/1)= 0.46 radians

How did you get 5 radians?

You're right. I meant 0.5 rad, not 0-5 rad . (In was a typo; in my keyboard the '.' is next to the '-' .)
I used the approximation tan-1(x)≈x valid for "small" x.
Regards

Z

Status
Not open for further replies.