Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How to differentiate High and High-Z state

Status
Not open for further replies.

FreshmanNewbie

Full Member level 6
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I'm using this MCP73831 device.

I just want to know how what to expect as a voltage level on the STAT pin when the below chart on page 13 says, STAT = HIGH & STAT = HIGH-Z.

enter image description here

So, when the charging is completed, I need to see HIGH voltage (say if Vdd is 5V, then HIGH would indicate 5V) 5V on the pin , as it is mentioned as HIGH. But when it is mentioned as High-Z state, then also, I will see the same 5V, right?

Then how to differentiate High and High-Z state?

Also, this charge complete mode, would also mean the same, when there is no battery connected to Vbat right? So, when charging is complete or Battery is disconnected, then the STAT pins would show the same result, right?

Please help me to understand?

1675336687841.png

Charge complete output is High.....on 73831. Its Voh level when high
is :

1675336833911.png

Regards, Dana.

Hi,

HIGH-Z means high impedancce, not driven at all. No current. No valid voltage level unless driven else where.

Klaus

Hi,

High_Z allows wired-OR ganging of this flag, a common pulldown
resistor for all.
According the table on post#2 STAT1 can be HIGH-Z, HIGH but also LOW. Thus wired OR is not possible.

Wired OR can be used on: HIGH-Z / HIGH ( a single transitor at high side as output) with a pull down.
Wired AND can be used on: HIGH-Z / LOW ( a single transitor at low side as output) with a pull up.

Klaus

Status
Not open for further replies.